We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mismaloya Beach

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
42 posts
26 reviews
Mismaloya Beach

Is this still a good place to spend the day? Is there restaurants or bars there? What's your opinion? Thank you.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Mismaloya Beach

There is a AI resort there Barcelo Mismaloya. You would have to get a day pass to use their facilities. I would opt on taking the same bus a little further south to Boca and there take a water taxi to some wonderful beaches most of which have restaurants. You can use there sand chairs and umbrellas.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
53 posts
2. Re: Mismaloya Beach

The beach restaurants to the south side of the beach are still there. Went in November; same scene as the last several years.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
125 reviews
3. Re: Mismaloya Beach

Yes it is fun. The beach. Swimming.The food. Walking down to the point. Beer, lots of places serving food and chips. Music on the beach. Pie. Walking through the small town. The zoo up the road through town. Taxi to El Eden from there. Nice ride. Not far from PV.

"Funman"

Edited: 20 March 2012, 23:26
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,257 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Mismaloya Beach

With the recent outbreak (and several posts) of people getting sick at Barcelo I think I would spend the day elsewhere not knowing if there is a septic problem at the hotel or if the water in the area is possibly contaminated... sorry to be negative, just a heads up.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
125 reviews
5. Re: Mismaloya Beach

I have spent many days on the beach eating and enjoying the area almost every year for the last 20 years without ever getting sick. And this was during the times when there was sicknes at Barcelo also. I have also had other people with me when visiting there. No one got sick from the beach or the small burg or eating and drinking on the beach. We have not done a lot of swimming there. We will going back on our next visit also. If you are concerned, stay out of the water, because that is the only thing that we did not do a lot of.

But is would be a shame to miss visiting the whole area and enjoying what it has to offer.

"Funman"

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
18,023 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Mismaloya Beach

Agree with Funman - no reason to avoid Mismaloya Beach because of Barcelo's problems. Love the atmosphere on M Beach ...spent many a day and eaten lunch and have never gotten sick. Very relaxing.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,338 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Mismaloya Beach

The Barcelo is separate from the small beach restaurants noted above, no reason to avoid them because an all inclusive can't get their act together.

I will note though that the size of the beach at Mismaloya isn't what it used to be, sadly, since the collapse of that underwater canyon several years ago. If you want a lot of space to spread out it's probably not the first choice, but nothing wrong with the food/drink on the south side of the river.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,826 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Mismaloya Beach

we go to mismaloya almost every trip. it is a small beach but we enjoy the restaurants, village---been to tony's and of course i go because NIGHT OF THE IGUANA was filmed there and you can walk the path.

the zoo is close--i see a place to rent horses and it makes for a nice day trip with a few options.

sometimes we spend the morning at playa gemelas---hop on the bus to mismaloya for the afternoon.

have a blast whatever you do

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
18,023 posts
120 reviews
9. Re: Mismaloya Beach

Just thought I'd post that we had a hamburger, guac, chips and salsa on the beach yesterday and as usual we're just fine today......so go to Mismaloya. Same ole sweet service with a smile! Three pelicans hanging out now, not just the one with the broken wing....they are pretty tame and allow you to touch them. Enjoy.....

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
125 reviews
10. Re: Mismaloya Beach

I could not imagine going to PV without a day spent at the first restaurant across the bridge on the beach of Mismaloya.

Barcelo needs to find an improvement in their sanitation and fast.