We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Everett, WA
Level Contributor
86 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

I love Patron - both shots and in margaritas. Is Patron sold in PV? I find that good quality tequila gives me less of a hangover. Do you have a recommendation for tequila to request for margaritas - whether at the hotel (Villa Premiere or a restaurant)? I don't want the cheap stuff to slow me down in the am. Yes, I know quanity is also key...

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

I thought Patron was a American version of Tequila and not very good??

We like Cazadore respondo or Don Julio

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

i agree Casadorez reposado or even better , Orendein grand , reposado

both are smooth on there own , not so smoky

enjoy loosely, and with great company !! !!

Bruce

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

agree---cazadores

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
377 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

I would prefer use my Cazadores, Don Julio, Patron, etc., for sipping and use less expensive stuff for margaritas. If you're getting headaches, it's because you're not consuming enough alcohol on a regular basis :)

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

Patron is sold here but it is IMPORTED back into Mexico so it is super expensive and truly NOT worth it! It is a marketing gimmick by Paul Mitchell (out of Las Vegas) to sell an average tequila in a cool bottle with an even cooler image. (That is why it is huge in Las Vegas with the club kids)

It is physically made in Atotonilco el Alto, Jalisco and they actually make the same tequila and sell it under a different name here in Mexico and MUCH less expensive.

With that said, true tequila aficionados would bypass Patron in a heart beat and go for Cazadores or Don Julio, Jose Quervo de la Familia (NOT the rot gut caramel colored American crap. Plain old Cuervo is junk and that's why you get a hangover as they colorize it.)

Another tip, when you make a margarita, you NEVER use top shelf tequila, that would be a waste.

What you do want is a tequila that is slightly aged although some clear/not aged tequilas are also just fine.

So, skip the Patron and save a ton of money and enjoy a much better tequila :)

Cazadores

Cuervo de la Familia

Ora Azul (excellent and REASONABLE!)

Don Julio ($$)

Tres Generaciones

Everett, WA
Level Contributor
86 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

Does cazadores make a margarita much more expensive? Thanks everyone!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

"It is physically made in Atotonilco el Alto, Jalisco and they actually make the same tequila and sell it under a different name here in Mexico and MUCH less expensive. "

Can you share what the name of that tequila is bzy1?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

Any of my Cazadore Margs have cost no more then 80 pesos. That is worth it to me for a almost hangover free next day .

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

If you are in PV and order a margarita reposado the bar tender will poor you most likely a Casadorez. If not you are getting a cheaper tequila or even a blend.

For my tequila margaritas I purchase a bottle that has TRES with three crowns under neath it. It comes in a plastic 2 litre bottle. It is what several bars will use and a nice smooth blend. Try adding a tablespoon of icing sugar in each blender and enjoy.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: top shelf tequila recommendation for margaritas

7 Leguas is the one.