We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Air from Vallarta

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
US Air from Vallarta

Last year when we took US Air to the US from Vallarta, we were not charged to check baggage.

Has anyone recently traveled from Vallarta to the US on US Air and know whether they currently charge for checked bags? And if so, how much? Thanks for your help.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: US Air from Vallarta

Yes, they charged me $20. I paid while checking in online and so I'm not sure if it is the same if you pay at the counter.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Air from Vallarta

I know that last year they would have gladly taken my money if I had checked in on-line (which I decided against) but they did not charge me at the airport.

I don't want to pay it online if it turns out they do not charge at the tickt counter.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
519 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: US Air from Vallarta

We had heard this as well but when we got in line to check in, a USAir agent directed us to a kiosk located next to the center stairway. We had to do a pre-check in and then pay the e bag fee there with a credit card. For a while, they were not charging the fees-I wonder if they were in the process of changing to the new system then. This was in late February.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
519 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: US Air from Vallarta

I forgot to add- the fee was 25US.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Air from Vallarta

Thanks for the recent info. So I guess I should do the on-line check-in before we head to the airport.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: US Air from Vallarta

I think if you have to pay online but don't pay at the counter it's because the agent checking you in forgot to collect the fee. It's happened to me once before.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Air from Vallarta

They were very clear at the airport that there was no charge. The guy hand-checking my bag said there was not. I had stuffed one suitcase inside of another to have only 1 checked bag for the 2 of us. The hand-checker told me to divide it among the 2 so it would be lighter per bag, and he repeatedly said "it's free". The check-in agent did not charge us.

And when returning to the US from Antigua in the Caribbean, there was no charge. But both of our flights originating in the US, we were charged.

But I know things change!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,672 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: US Air from Vallarta

The only free baggage on US Air anymore is if you're holding a First Class ticket. I know there were past instances where I wasn't charged and expected to be, however they do seem in recent months to have cracked down more. I think previously they simply didn't have the ability to charge at the ticket desk (whereas now there is the kiosk noted) and they aren't allowed to take cash for the fee due to the new Mexican laws about USD.

I usually fly them every second or third trip to PV and know things have changed just very recently, but my last flight was a seat sale FC ticket so I didn't have to worry about fees...so I paid less attention to it.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 18:30
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Air from Vallarta

Read the rules on US Airways online:

usairways.com/en-US/…baggagepolicies.html

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Air from Vallarta

Going tomorrow, I have printed boarding passes but did not pay for luggage. Somehow I skipped right over that part. Operator error for sure!

I will pay it at the airport, I guess. It will be $25 there, would have been $25 if I paid it on-line. That is if I hadn't somehow messed up and skipped that part!

Edited: 14 April 2012, 22:51