We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mexican travel advice please.

manitoba
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
mexican travel advice please.

Hi all,

My wife and I want to take our first trip to Mexico this winter. Probably in January or February. We are not interested in all inclusive though. Does anyone know where we can find a quiet, non touristy and safe area where we could rent a house. We also want great beaches and maybe a golf course for me! Also, is it advisable to rent a car in Mexico. Thanks for the advice.

manitoba
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: mexican travel advice please.

Thanks all,

I think most of the replies have been spot on. We dont know spanish well so we are not looking for somewhere totally off the beaten path. I think we just want to stay away from the crazy busy tourist areas. My wife loves shopping at local markets, we love relaxing on the beach, I love golfing so i will probably play twice in the two weeks we are there. We also want to go whale watching and we love eating out at non-chain restaurants with great local atmosphere. We are not big party people so night clubs are not important to us. We don't need luxury. We just want a comfortable place that is safe and allows us to experience what Mexico is all about. We are also both interested in learning about the local culture and history. That about covers what we think an ideal Mexican vacation would be. Thanks again for the adviice!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,508 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: mexican travel advice please.

For anyone not familiar with Sayulita, there are lots of parts of it, and beaches (you can walk to) which don´t attract tourists particularly. It´s just the main beach that can be crowded. Here´s a good informational link.

http://www.sayulitalife.com/sayulita-beaches

We like Los Muertos beach (Sayulita). It´s in a cove just around the corner from the main beach, usually quiet but very close to the main beach if you want services such as restaurants.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,950 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: mexican travel advice please.

smartens - thanks for the follow up. Much clearer now. (-:

I think any of Sayulita, Bucerias or La Cruz would be enjoyable for you. Thinking in terms of golfing however, you will have more immediate and less expensive access to more courses the closer you are to PV, as the majority of them are between Bucerias and the Marina Vallarta area (see maps below). So if you plan to golf often, this might be worth considering in terms of transportation to/from and the costs/timing. From that perspective I might lean more towards Bucerias or La Cruz, and spend some time visiting Sayulita, San Pancho and Rincon de Guayabitos up north.

I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy. (-:

http://vallartainfo.com/marina.html

http://vallartainfo.com/nuevo.html

Edited: 09 October 2012, 16:07
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: mexican travel advice please.

A friend just told me he golfs at Litibu, and it is "not expensive". He said it was less than playing at Flamingos or any of the Nuevo Vallarta or Vallarta courses. Easily accessabe from Sayulita as well.

Wherever you end up, have a wonderful vacation!

25. Re: mexican travel advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 07:19