We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Eden

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
El Eden

Where and what is El Eden and how does one get there from Conchas Chinas (no car)? I read a post that said it was a God send on hot muggy days. We are arriving in two weeks with a 10 and 8 year old. Would this be appropriate?

Thank you TA friends!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Eden

Wouldn't be less hot & muggy, you can catch the Boca/Mismaloya bus on the highway and get off at Mismaloya, but it's a bit of a hike from there, especially hot & muggy. Get a taxi instead, though I wonder why you chose that location, what's left of a helicopter shell and an overpriced restaurant, nice river and waterfall though.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Eden

Is the river and waterfall a place that children can play in?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Eden

Yes, they have a hanging rope you can swing out on and into the pool in the river.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Eden

You might have heard about El Eden from me. I highly recommend people go with their kids....because this is a Mexican experience for children, as compared to the water park in Nuevo that they can do anywhere.

We don't go for the helicopter or the food, we only order guac, salsa, chips, and alcohol or limonadas because the food is expensive. Do use bottled water only and they will for Limonadas too. One time we did order a mixed grill kebob and split it as a protein snack.....but yes it's expensive to eat a meal. If kids are hungry when you leave....from swimming you can get crackers etc. in their little gift shop. El Eden doesn't charge you to swim.....just order something and they are happy. It has gotten more touristy nowadays but it's still very pleasant up there.

It's a kids dream as a place to swim in the jungle. We found it to be a godsend when it's hot and muggy which we found out 23 years ago the first time we went there with our kids. As grown-ups they have fond memories of time spent there and they still like to go back every trip because the swimming is so great, not to mention the rope swing. There is also a slide that is actually the waterfall itself. It's a little tricky to get to nowadays since the ladder is gone but a local kid or others going up can show your kids how to get up there. It's not way high at all, just winding through boulders. Anywhere that the rocks are wet....it can be slippery so just make sure your kids know.

The water is very clear and there is a good 1 foot shallow area too in which my 3 year old grandson played in last trip, and my youngest 23 years ago. It gradually gets deeper (but not super deep) so it's good for anybody. Adults swing on the rope and use the slide too. :-)

You can go by bus and get off at Barcelo Resort. Then hire one of the cabs that are always sitting there. It's a winding sometimes bumpy dirt road up to El Eden, so the cabbie may charge a bit for that. Or you can take a cab from town. You'll enjoy your trip up through the jungle to the higher part of the mountain and your kids will feel like they're on an adventure. It takes about 20 - 30 minutes to get up there from Mismaloya because they have to go slow. Do make arrangements with the cab driver....if he will .....for getting back down to Mismaloya or town....or El Eden will call a cab when you're ready to leave....but it will take awhile so just have them call about 30 minutes before you're ready to leave.

If you're interested you can also go by horseback. There is a guy and his young son....(I can get the information if you're interested).....with good horses and a good reputation that takes you up to Eden. My son just did it in March.

If you go take insect repellant since you'll be in the jungle. :-)

Edited: 04 July 2013, 12:34
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Eden

Just thinking....if it's hot and muggy you probably won't want to go by horseback LOL.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Eden

Also, keep in mind we are now in our rainy season and the river maybe flowing a bit stronger now.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Eden

That's true it might make a difference. In the early years we went to PV in late June and it was a little higher in that very shallow section I described.....but I have pics of my 3 year old sitting on the side in the water. Back then they had a big cork...yes literally.....in the wall that held in the water LOL, but don't know what they do now, I didn't look at that area last trip.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Eden

Thanks Kansas I think this is something that our boys would definitely like. After reading your description and looking at some online pictures I think my husband and I were here on a tour many years ago.Two more weeks till we are back in PV paradise :-)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Eden

Have a great trip!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,285 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Eden

Take a taxi. Definitely a place the kids would like. It's a restaurant on platforms along a river with pools you can swim in. Hmmm... this was quite a while ago my friend and I went, I don't think we ate a meal, maybe had drinks and nachos and enjoyed the scenery. We didn't swim but people were.

suze