We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalina or Sotavento...

USA
2 posts
Save Topic
Catalina or Sotavento...

I want to stay in Zihua at either the Catalina or Sotavento...they both fit my price range and are exactly what I am looking for in a hotel - good prices, bars onsite, restaurant onsite, easy beach access.

I have looked at their websites and looked at many of the pictures posted on here, I have read most of the reviews on here, but am still torn as to which I should stay at......any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!

Which is more modern? Which is laid-out better? Which has better service? Food? Etc....

Thanks all.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

Both nice but better upkeep at the Catalina. The real difference however is Celso their not Jack, but "Master of all Trades" there., Just a terrific asset. Go with the Catalina

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

well, i admit i know nothing about the sotavento.

but i did stay at the catalina. VERY VERY happy with it, we were!

what a bargain! and the service was exceptional. don't hesitate to ask for anything extra you might want...they'll do it!

when he made the reservations, my husband asked them to have the room's fridge stocked with beer, water & diet coke...and to keep it stocked during our stay.

they did. very welcome when we arrived at our room with the 3 friends who'd picked us up at the airport! we were able to have a very nice little party on arrival!

i wouldn't call it "modern"....but at some point, if you stay there, you'll read all the stuff about everybody who has stayed there in the past. personally, i got a HUGE kick out of knowing that mick jagger had stayed there!

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

Nothing wrong with either, used to be owned & managed by the same folks.

One thing for sure YOUR idea of easy beach access and my idea of the same sure ain't the same!! My mountain goat days are over. You will get your workout, either a long climb from the beach back to the room or a long climb to watch the sunset from the bar.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

LOL dorado...

heck, i'm 58 & my husband's, um...what? 64?

we had the rooms right above the pool, so the beach trek was a piece of cake...

going up? LOL....as i keep saying...on the many "huff&puff stops....the scenery was pretty :D

zihua
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

i indeed agree with your opinion

i also recoment catalina beacb resort.

heiko from zihua

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
888 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

We were at the Intrawest and had a beautiful view of the Sotavento. Everyday we were amazed to wake up and still see it standing.

I never saw the Catalina but it HAS to be better.

USA
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

Groovy...booked with Catalina...now I need to figure out what to do?!?!? Any suggestions for a "one stop shop" list of things/places to go, ie. cheap eats, bars, parasailing, snorkeling, massages, beers, margaritas, tacos, beers...etc...etc...etc...it'll be a week of pampering

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

beers...anywhere that catches your eye LOL

we didn't eat out all the time, we had invitations to people's houses several nights, but a few suggestions...

we had a couple beers at daniel's & really really liked the salsa there...my husband almost cried when he learned it was made in-house & we couldn't buy any to take home.

6 of us had a superb dinner for VERY cheap at "de donde eres" on calle adelita. tiny place, with very friendly & personal service from the owners....menu changes every day with a choice of 3 entrees. the night we went, choices were a dinner salad (which we all shared as an appetizer, it was excellent!)...grilled fish or chinese style chicken with cashews. wonderful food, wonderful evening...and only 70 pesos per entree!

also had a really nice lunch one day on la ropa....dona prudencia, i believe it was called? that was really good, i had coconut shrimp. just a short stroll from the catalina.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

oh...and snorkeling...well, we didn't get any in. we hit a bad time for that, apparently...just after a red tide. i tried once & had no visibility at all.

probably could have done some the day we went over to las gatas, but we didn't even take our stuff with us. the water there was clear.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catalina or Sotavento...

Groovy...booked with Catalina...now I need to figure out what to do?!?!? Any suggestions for a "one stop shop" list of things/places to go, ie. cheap eats, bars, parasailing, snorkeling, massages, beers, margaritas, tacos, beers...etc...etc...etc...it'll be a week of pampering

Go toZihua attractions then hit "Zihua on a Budget" for great eats & bargin things.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo