We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo for Christmas...

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Playas del Coco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo for Christmas...

Every year I take my mom on vacation for Christmas, and this year it is Ixtapa! She has always wanted to go there, so I am happy to take her.

I was wondering if anybody has been to the Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo area during Christmas or is going, and has any tips or recommendations for things to do?

We both love experiencing the local traditions of the holidays, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo for Christmas...

What a great trip for your mom....and you. I have wonderful memories of sharing Mexico with my mom- you will cherish these times at a later date.

First I want to be sure you understand that Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo, while only 7 kilometers apart, are 2 very different places. If you have questions about that, please ask. Next, having done the mom thing in Mexico, I will ask if you have any special needs regarding mom. For example, my mom was 87 and in a wheelchair- we had to do lots of homework before taking her anywhere.

As far as Christmas is concerned, there is lots to be experienced just by walking around and watching- decorations, music, activities at the square (basketball court), church, etc. Christmas eve is the main focus- mostly family time, religious time, pinatas in the streets. There are posadas in the time leading up to Christmas. In the neighbourhood of La Madera there is huge street party- food, entertainment, mingling with the locals- but that is much earlier than you will probably be here.

Hope that gives you some ideas and I wish you a wonderful time with your mom.

2. Re: Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo for Christmas...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo