We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

security

canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
security

We have never been concerned with security in Zihua, yet stories here and there are popping up. Please prove me wrong..we are long time guests but have missed the last two years. Please comment, I apprecriate your feedback,thank you.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
228 posts
879 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: security

Safe, but use common sense. Stay with what you know.

canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: security

you are right, commen sense...! That is what i wanted to hear, thank you

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: security

Been here for 3 months. Yet to see an act of Violence.

Of course that's the same as the previous 24.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: security

We live here 9 months out of the year now. Have been spending over 6 months for 8 years. For us, in our life style, nothing has changed. We have never felt unsafe, nor have we ever witnessed any violence. We know literally hundreds of people that spend winters in Mexico- not one of them has had any negative experiences either. We just live...like we would anywhere. We also go on vacations- within Mexico and in Europe- just lucky I guess, because we are just fine.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: security

Read the latest travel advisory and what it has to say about Zihua/Ixtapa:

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

That should set your mind at ease. It is safe.

We were there in early December, no problems at all, we felt very safe wandering all over town.

mpls
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: security

Very comforting news to here. I am guessing Ixtapa is also safe? Everyone thinks we are crazy to go - i say they are crazy not to experience life!!! Just hope the sun starts shining.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: security

And those of us who are here can't imagine why everyone else isn't here.

MN
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: security

It looks georgous there right now! Can't wait to get back to my favorite place on earth!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: security

Those that say you are crazy probably live in a much more violent area than Zihuatanejo. You can't let people deter you from having a wonderful time in a magical place. I have been all over and never felt unsafe in Z and Ixtapa, but have felt unsafe plenty of times in Santa Monica.

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: security

We spent six weeks in Zihua last year and are now into our fifth week here this year. We have seen no evidence of any violence or of anything to be concerned about. Having said that we have taken note of locals advice that we should always get taxis after dark as a precaution. We feel quite safe wandering around and have certainly been to other countries that have been far less safe. Zihua is a delightful place to visit.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo