We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquakes

Bolton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
50 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Earthquakes

My husband and I would love to travel to Oaxaca however we are reading mixed stories about earthquakes in the area. We have read that there are many earthquakes in the area almost daily, and we have also read that it’s only by the coastline. I would love to hear from a local native of the area or someone who travels frequently to the area about his situation. We are also thinking of possibly buying a home somewhere in Mexico and Oaxaca was on our list until we started researching. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Muchas gracias!

4 replies to this topic
Rosarito Beach, Baja
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquakes

This is an area where 3 valleys meet so occasional ground movement is a givien. We have been here many times and have never felt an earthquake. We have been here since October 26th and are staying until January. These major quakes were felt profoundly in the isthmus area and Mexico City. You can see some damage to the old buildings here in Oaxaca de Juarez . We are already planning to come back next year but we are originally from Southern California so we are used to earthquakes.

Bolton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
50 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquakes

Thank you for your reply. I really want to go so that information is really comforting 😊

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquakes

I know Bolton well, but have lived permanently in Oaxaca for over 13 years, and before then a frequent visitor dating to 1991. Some people say there are daily tremors, others that there are 200 a year, but from my perspective we feel them 3 - 4 times a year. We live in the city and have ever sustained any damage except for the one September 4th, and with that one the only damage was broken stuff that was on a couple of shelves, and perhaps a bit of plaster/tile damage. If living here was dangerous in any respect, we would be back in Toronto.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Tours of Oaxaca

Bolton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
50 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquakes

Great to hear! Thanks so much for your reply! So do you own a tour company? If me and my husband come down maybe we could contact you? Im getting more and more confident now about visiting Oaxaca!

Edited: 02 December 2017, 19:44
Reply to: Earthquakes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted