We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spend a night in Capulálpam?

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Spend a night in Capulálpam?

Hi everyone - question is if you could pick one of the towns around Oaxaca to escape for a day or two’s contrast to the big city, what is your favourite and why? We like botany / nature / walks / trying local food etc. I’ve heard Capulalpam is well worth a visit - any recommendations, including a place to stay? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
7 replies to this topic
Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spend a night in Capulálpam?

Guacamaya is pretty well one of the closest villages to reach in the Sierra Norte, with nice cabins and ecotourism building its reputation over the past decade or so. So it gets a vote because of ecotourism and ease of getting there. Alternatively one of the villages reached going up another way such as Letuvi, Benito Juarez, etc. In the further alternative, you can spend the night at Hierve el Agua if you like swimming, hiking as well, etc. There are simple cabins available. For me that attraction is more for the bubbling springs and vistas than anything else, and Hierve el Agua lacks a lot of the ecotourism stuff such as riding, great food including trout, an attempt to build ecotourism in earnest, etc. So although I like the sight, I cannot really recommend it for something special when I think there are better alternatives. For the best in my humble opinion, Apoala, hands down. It's also easy to get to although further than the other places mentioned, you can hike a couple of different trails including down to a lovely waterfalls where you can swim in a cenote type of environment, great cabins, decent food, vistas, friendly residents, etc. We had wanted to go for many years, and when we finally did, it did not disappoint and we'd love for our daughter to get there some day. Our Oaxacan friends who have been there have also loved it, as did the Oaxacan friends who went with us. I do not know of anyone who has been disappointed with Apoala.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

Mentioned in this post
Hierve el Agua
Hierve el Agua
2,166 Reviews
Oaxaca, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
67 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spend a night in Capulálpam?

I've been to a few pueblos in the Sierra Norte -- Llano Grande, Amatlan, Latuvi, and Lachatao. I think you can have a great experience at any of them with hikes, fresh air, quiet and cozy cabins, etc. If I had to recommend one for a 1-2 night visit, I'd probably suggest Lachatao. The views from the cabins are fantastic, the cabins are rustic but comfortable, the food is great (make sure to request trout in advance when booking), and there are hikes of various lengths (including in old mines) nearby plus a beautiful old church. Feel free to message me directly if you have more specific questions. Buen viaje!

Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
998 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spend a night in Capulálpam?

I have visited Capulalpam, but never stayed the night. It's a nice little town with great views. People I know who have stayed there enjoyed it.

Alvin, Where is Guacamaya? Can't find it on the map....

Roberto

Huatulco Moto Club

Edited: 01 January 2018, 09:37
Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spend a night in Capulálpam?

This article is several years old, but it explains the village and how to get there, turning right off the highway just beyond Villa Etla:

mexconnect.com/articles/3804-ecotourism-in-m…

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
London
Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spend a night in Capulálpam?

Alvin, thanks for the great info. Had also heard good things about Apoala, and the setting looks stunning. I think we'll head there. I've never heard of Guacamayo: it seems there's tons to see and do beyond the city and I'm particularly interested in getting to know some areas beyond the guidebooks... I was last there 1994.

Edited: 01 January 2018, 10:44
London
Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spend a night in Capulálpam?

Cheers Roberto, much appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spend a night in Capulálpam?

Sound info, many thanks for that. Lachatao pops up again and again, it must be something good!

Reply to: Spend a night in Capulálpam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted