We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca 9 days with side trip

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Oaxaca 9 days with side trip

I'm travelling with one other to Oaxaca in July for 9 days and wondered if it is worth spending a few of them making the trip to Palenque or alternatively to a few days on the coast at Puerto Escondido? Obviously both would be too much to squeeze in, and maybe it would be better to just settle with Oaxaca for the entire trip?

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oaxaca 9 days with side trip

My suggestion would be to stay in Oaxaca, and spend 2 - 3 days touring the central valleys, and the rest of the time in the city taking in the sights. On the other hand, if money is not a consideration, you can consider flying to Puerto Esondido for 3 days or so. But taking a bus or colectivo takes anywhere from 7 - 11 hours, and the roads are still a bit difficult, so it really isn't worth it to my thinking, especially if you have access to other beaches near where you live. The flight is 35 minutes and costs about 1400 pesos one way.

Regarding Palenque, flying from Oaxaca to the closest city is expensive, and there are so many sights to see in Chiapas so my advice would be to save that region for another time or extend your vacation this time. In the Palenque region you should see Cañon de Sumadero, Agua Azul, and at least three days in and around San Cristobal de las Casas taking in the city, Zinacantán and Chamula. Just visiting Palenque to my thinking is a bit extravagant.

I'd be pleased to email you some touring routes of the central valleys of Oaxaca, if that would assist you (oaxacadream@hotmail.com). With the greatest of respect, I think that after seeing what's available in the central valleys of Oaxaca, you'll rethink your plan to see more on this trip. Furthermore, don't forget that the last two weeks of July is Guelaguetza time, so if you're in southern Mexico at this time of year, it would be a pity to miss the festivities. The performances generally take place the last two Mondays of July.

Summertime is also the time of year when there's the feria de mezcal, and a rug festival in Teotitlán del Valle, in addition to the feria de hongos in the Sierra Norte if wild mushroom are of interest. All these activities are either in or are easily accessible from the city of Oaxaca.

My best advice would be to settle in Oaxaca and enjoy.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Minnesota
Level Contributor
515 posts
604 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oaxaca 9 days with side trip

Titosarah has given you some sound advice, especially on leaving Oaxaca for a few days. There is enough in the city of Oaxaca itself to keep you busy for a few days. In addition, side trips out of town are easy and can fill up two days or more. A bit over a year ago we spent eight days in Oaxaca for the first time there and only got out of town one day to Monte Alban. We could have used a couple more days. And if you will be there during Guelaguetza then book your accommodation well in advance. Have fun!

oaxaca, oaxaca
Level Contributor
98 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oaxaca 9 days with side trip

I agree with the others - Palenque is too much. The beach is hot and buggy in July - I would skip it. If you want to get wet go to Hierve el agua. Perhaps spend an overnight in the mountains. The last two mondays are the major Guelengetza days. even if you don't go to the big dance in town there are great free events just outside Oaxaca - I often go to San Augustino near Ocotlan and enjoy it alot. There will be great parades in town also.

I often have groups in and we barely see the minimum in 10 or 11 days. Oaxaca is an amazing place, you will have plenty to do.

4. Re: Oaxaca 9 days with side trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:15