We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for a week in Oaxaca.

Marshall, Missouri
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for a week in Oaxaca.

My wife & I will be spending 7 full days in Oaxaca City at the end of January. We are scheduled to arrive the night before at 8:35pm at OAX and we will need to get to Hotel Aitana. Do you recommend a taxi or a collective? Also, I am assuming there are ATM's located in the terminal. Is that correct? We will need peso's to cover the cost of the ride.

On the first & last days we will explore the sites in Oaxaca City. During the 5 remaining days we would like to take day trips to Monte Alban, Milta, Hierve el Agua and anything that might be suggested. How would you arrange that time to absorb the uniqueness of each of those places? Do you have transportation advice?

Thank you.

26 replies to this topic
Marshall, Missouri
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Questions for a week in Oaxaca.

Mahsa, Journey Beyond the Surface

Luis Ramirez Tours

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Questions for a week in Oaxaca.

I understand there are Bungalows for rent at Hierve el Agua, can anyone supply info ?.

Thank you

Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Questions for a week in Oaxaca.

Hi!

I am going to Oaxaca in June and have all the same questions for transportation and things to do in a week.

Can you tell me about your trip and what you recommend we do and how you got to your hotel from the airport. Any restaurants that you recommend?

Thanks so much!

Marshall, Missouri
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Questions for a week in Oaxaca.

My wife and I visited Oaxaca over a year ago. I have nothing but very fond memories of that trip.

We were also concerned about arriving late at night and transportation to our hotel. The airport terminal is small and easy to navigate. The people there were very friendly and helpful. You may be also arriving with tourists that have been to Oaxaca before and can provide valuable information. There should be an ATM to the side of the ground transportation booth (1-2016). We paid for a collective shuttle there and had no problem getting to our hotel and enjoyed visiting with the other tourists along the way.

There were 5 highlights of our visit that I would highly recommend. First, the cooking class Taste of Oaxaca with instructions by Karla Marie. Next a private tour with Luis Ramirez Tours (Mitla, Heirve El Agua, Santa Marie El Tule, Tlacochahuaya, Teotitlan del Valle).

Another tour, featuring the artisans of the area with Journey's Beyond the Surface Tour. (A great understanding of the art process without pressure to buy anything!) A day trip to Monte Alban. Finally, walk and explore all the outstanding things Oaxaca has to offer, especially the people and the wonderful food!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Questions for a week in Oaxaca.

Thank you, I joined in on a thread. I had different questions but your input is appreciated.

YVR
Level Contributor
6 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Questions for a week in Oaxaca.

One choice for someone spending a week in Oaxaca in to hire a driver/guide to use when you want a day out of the city of Oaxaca. A guy we have used repeatedly is Tomas Ramirez, a Oaxacan with a Suburban that holds 8 people. He is English speaking, courteous, friendly, and a super safe driver. He knows all the markets, the villages, the crafts, the mescal makers and the archeological sites. He does an hourly, half day or full day rate. He is not expensive if you are sharing, but obviously I think he’s worth it. His cell number is tel:044-951-507-2383 or he has a website http://tomasramirez.simpl.com

Reply to: Questions for a week in Oaxaca.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted