We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

Any advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

My family ( 2 adults and 2 kids 4/7) plan to travel at the beginning of August. We are unsure of which hotel to chose. The rooms seem bigger at The Grand and we like the fact that it's a new hotel with free use of the waterpark. At the moment for our 9 day stay there is only £100 difference in the price. Would The Grand be suitable for 4 and 7 year old girls?

Thanks

206 replies to this topic
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

Grand has been a long-awaited resort for us members who are now pretty tired of the promises for the "best" Palace resort. From your perspective, though, it is new, but not the best choice for your children, IMHO. It is a long time for you to be in a remote location in a section of the resort that is not yet complete. I recommend you trust the reviews. It may be a nice hotel room, but you can get that pretty close to home, I'm sure. I'd go for a sure thing. Nizuc has long been the favorite for children. And it's pretty awesome for adults. I think you might be seeing "new" as "better" and in this case, it's not true. I hope my comments spark a lot of other comments so it helps you decide. But one thing is for sure - ALL of the Palace resorts are superior to the others that are similarly priced where service, cleanliness, and food are concerned.

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

Thanks again. I had a look at Nizuc but it's not all inclusive so I'll have to rule it out.

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

Pls ignore the above!! After some more research I have now realised that the hotel is split into 3 sections!! Nizuc will definitely suit the girls. Thanks again Lisa.

Theresa

Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

I would recommend the Grand as the rooms are larger. There are the original rooms at the Grand that were built 10 years ago. The new section is just an add on to the old section and with a new name. Both old & new Grand rooms will have the same room size & configuration. Unless you book into the new larger specialty suites that are themed. The new themed suites will be twice the size of the original Grand suites and the themes are Asian, Italian, French and so on - with decor to match.

Sunrise has the next largest rooms. Nizuc is a good location as it is in the middle, but rooms are the smallest

I have stayed in Sunrise & Grand in the past.

Edited: 22 January 2017, 15:37
Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

Thank you for responding. The room size is what attracted me in the 1st place to the grand as 9 days is a long time to be cramped in one room! How far is the grand from the kids club and other activities? Can you walk or do you have to wait for the golf buggies?

Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

When I was there last- there were 2 kids clubs. A small one in Nizuc, near the water slide that goes into one of the main pools. The other kids club is in Sunrise and it is near the lobby. You have to take the path south from the lobby at Sunrise. It is just behind the watermelon(Sandia) building. The mini golf course is between Nizuc & Sunrise- also, that is where they have the bicycles for use. To walk from Grand lobby(old lobby) to Nizuc lobby is about 5-10 min. Then it is another 5-10 min walk over to Sunrise. One evening, I left something in my room in the Grand section. We were eating in Nizuc. I ran back to the room (along the ocean pathway)to get the item and was back at the table in 10 min(I did jog a bit) The straightest course between the buildings is along the ocean walk way. If you follow the other pathways, they tend to meander and it takes longer.

The bus that runs between the buildings runs in a circle. So if you are in the Grand section & get on the bus, it goes first to Nizuc & stops to pick up/drop off guests and then to Sunrise and then from Sunrise it goes back to the Grand.

There is one scheduled golf cart for each section that goes back & forth to the golf course. There is a large spa at the golf course plus the 2 restaurants so they have a shuttle system between the golf course & the other main buildings. These carts are very busy and fully occupied. So if you are at the golf course, there may be a wait time to get back to you hotel section- especially in the evenings after supper. If you are booked to play golf, there is a van that comes around to pick up the golfers. From the Grand, you can walk to the Golf course, but it will take 20-30 min to get there.

The other little golf carts driving around don't have any set schedule and you kind of have to flag them down as there are no specific stops for them. Sometimes they are at the lobby- but they each have their own agenda & not easy to get a ride. Most guests take the large bus that goes in a circuit from area to area.

And then they are the golf carts that belong to those that are book into the golf villas- those are for the use of those guests only.

Edited: 22 January 2017, 17:04
Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

Thank you so much for such valuable info xx

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

I go every year palace member. We love sunrise our kids love it. Grand is no where near being fully ready although once done it will be amazing. Try sunrise section at moon and u can visit all three

Cambridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
216 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

We were just at the moon 10 days ago, and we made many inquiries about the new moon grand. One of the things we did learn was that they were training lots of extra playroom staff for the new playroom at the Grand. We were told by the playroom staff that the grand's playroom was going to be larger than the one at sunrise(which is a nice size). So, based on the level of training going on, I would say that the new playroom (in the Grand) will be opened soon (after the opening in Feb). Also, we could see that the construction on the grand's water slides were very advanced. It wouldn't be far fetched to say that they couldn't be opened within a couple of months (however, this is still Mexico).

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace

Wow, you're a star! thanks for the update. I'm not going until August so fingers crossed everything will be up and running by then.

Reply to: Moon palace vs The grand at moon palace
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted