We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money to bring?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dallet6
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
How much money to bring?

I'm curious, how much money would you recommend bringing for a 5 day stay? We will be staying at an AI, but plan to do a couple day trips and sovenier shopping for the kids. When you are out shopping do you need cash for everything? If you go to a local restuarant do you need to pay in cash? Also, I'm a bit worried about carrying around alot of cash..any suggestions?

dallet6
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money to bring?

Also, I've heard so many different opinions I can't decide what to do. I'm not into travelers checks, so I dont' want to bring those. Alot of people say to use the atm for pesos, others say to go to an exchange. Is it only safe to carry a money belt or could I bring a wallet and stick it in our bag with some cash?

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money to bring?

we always bring cash and lots of it, have credit cards for some of our pricier dinners. We usually take out money for the day, then money for the night so you never have "too" much cash on you, but better to be safe than sorry. Also, you can always bring the cash home...lol. Usuaully don't carry a wallet, keep the cash in front pockets or in a fanny pack. Never had a problem or felt unsafe even out alone.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money to bring?

I bring down around $150 exchanged into pesos. If we need more, I just use the ATM. I use credit cards whenever I can which is 99% of the time. Most of the larger restaurants and stores accept them - if you plan on eating at a taco stand or something like that - then you will need cash - or if you wish to purchase something from a beach vendor.

Use common sense when carrying your money and you will be fine - I've never had any problems.

Have a wonderful trip.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money to bring?

I took about $300 (exchanged to Pesos) and my boyfriend took out the same amount from an atm. We keep most of it in the safe at the resort and carry only what we think we'll need for the day. We used the pesos for tipping, trips and souveniers and both came home with left over. Usually when booking an excursion we would use our credit card, but we did them all on our own this time, so we just used pesos.

I kept it in pockets & my camera case. I just don't like wallets (for men anyways) because they are so easy to see and grab when in a back pocket. I feel much better having it in my camera case (or small purse) that is around my neck with my hand on it.

PA
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money to bring?

We usually take about $1200 for a week. That is me, my husband, and our 14 year old daughter. When we go on vacation, we tend to forget about the bills at home and enjoy ourselves. We usually pay for our excursions with cash, but sometimes will put them on a credit card and save our cash. Take mostly small bills. We just divide the money between us and always keep it on us while traveling. Then we keep it in the safe in our room. We have never had a problem.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
100 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money to bring?

The best bet is to use your ATM at Bancamex across from Omni near McDonalds or lots of Banks in hotel zone. Last week used ATM with my local bank and got 10.63 peso per $USD, which included fee. Amex credit card exchange was about 10.56 peso per $USD. Omni hotel wwas lowest 10.35

They like US $$ also at most places, but lots of time quote you in dollars at 10 to 1 ... so pay in pesos if you can

Iowa
Level Contributor
435 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money to bring?

we brought $ 200 for misc. and tips for 4days, spent it all and was about right. We didn't go on any day trips this time around.

Steph

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money to bring?

We stay at an AI but tip alot, we bring $600 in ones and fives. We also bring an extra couple $100's for extras. Try not to charge anything. Just use cash

Connecticut
Level Contributor
100 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much money to bring?

Forgot one thing about credit cards ... most places print out entire number instead of X's be careful, I crossed out # on my receipt right away

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much money to bring?

cash works best when bartering for souvenirs.never pay full price.bring singles for tipping.i had a problem with a day trip last year and was glad i charged it.the credit card refunded it.tour operators wont.