We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuban Cigars

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cuban Cigars

Does anyone have suggestions for purchasing authentic cuban cigars in Cancun? I know the vendors have imitations, I want the real thing

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuban Cigars

Try Here....

lacasadelhabano.cu/site/…

Jimmy C

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuban Cigars

Well, since there is a $100.00 embargo tax per box imposed by the Mexican Govt. If you find a box of cigars less than that, guess what, they are fake.

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuban Cigars

There's a Cigar Lounge at The Royal... anyone know if they sell Cuban cigars? I'd imagine they do, right? Anyone know the price?

I don't want a whole box, just one cigar!

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuban Cigars

"Well, since there is a $100.00 embargo tax per box imposed by the Mexican Govt. If you find a box of cigars less than that, guess what, they are fake."

Are you sure???

Can you expand on that statement?

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuban Cigars

Yes, In both Mexico and the Dominican Republic, there is a huge tax leveyed on Cuban Cigars. The last I did the math it was close to $100 per box.

I visited the La Perla cigar factory in the Dominican and took a cigar making class. The owner gave the class and explained about the tax in Mexico and the Dominican. He point blank said that there were no "real" Cuban Cigars in the Dominican and highly doubted there were any in Mexico. He did however say that there were alot of Cuban seed cigars.

I love Cohiba cigars and asked about them. He told me there was no such thing as a Cuban Cohiba. I dont know if that is true or not.

Back to the tax..He explained that a box of imported Cubans cost a retailer from $100-$200 wholesale, then the $100 or so tax, then add profit markup. For a retailer to make even one dollar profit, a box of Cubans would have to cost at least $200-$300 at a minimum. All the boxes I've seen are around $100. I dont belive they are real.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuban Cigars

Considering that your Dominican friends statement, "no such thing as a Cuban Cohiba" is full of donkey dung and floor sweepings ...

I would verify everything else he tells you.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuban Cigars

La Casa del Habano has a shop in Cancun:

Address: Bivd. Kukulkan Km 12

Telephone: 52 (998) 840 7000

Fax: 52 (998) 840 7001

Email: info@lacasadelhabano.com

Web: www.lacasadelhabano.com

An article/interview from "Cigar Aficionado"

"Cigar Diary: Mexico's Cigar King

Max Gutmann is one of the world's great collectors of Cuban cigars as well as Mexico's official Cuban cigar agent"

http://tinyurl.com/yjog45j

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuban Cigars

A good Dominican is an excellent cigar. I have had a good hand rolled cigar (Mexican and Dominican tobacco) while vacationing in Puerto Vallarta. Are there any tobacco establishments that sell hand rolled cigars?

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cuban Cigars

You will find all kinds of counterfit Cuban Cigars even in Cuba...Most going for between $25-$50 Cuc"s ( Tourist Paso's ) around- $30-$60 USD.. I have been to Cuba around 15 time since 1988 and have only bought my cigars from Govt. Cigar Stores = La Casa del Habano...The rest are fake...

I had them (Cubans) tell me their brother works @ the Cigar factory or father Ect Ect..and there are ways to tell the fakes "Eg." rolled to tight , rolled too loose,,are the cigars cut straight in the box,,are the cigar bands even in the box, glass cohiba box ( Dead give away fake)..factory stamps on the box ,,Hologram on the box ect ect....Jimmy

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cuban Cigars

You definitely pay for what you get. Cuban cigars are excellent, but way over priced. i appreciate your imput, a good cigar and some fine aquave tequila is something to be cherished, especially while in the tropics.