We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New RIU Palace Peninsula

michigan
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New RIU Palace Peninsula

Just got back yesterday from RIU CARIBE. Construction has started on the new 400 room RIU PALACE PENINSULA. If you are looking out at the ocean from the Caribe, it will be on your right, over by the pizza shack and theatre. Spoke with the general manager, Nickolaus, who reported the construction started 1-5-11 and is scheduled to be finished in 1 year. Construction noise will affect low numbered rooms with even numbers that face outside the resort. I hope that makes sense. For example 510, 512, to about 520.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

Thanks for that insight.

Please tell us about your trip. What did you love... what did you wish was better? How is the beach?

We are headed to RIU Caribe on the 22nd.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

Fantastic sandy beach and huge pool, not as crowded as Riu Cancun; accommodations could be nicer, rooms are clean but in need of an upgrade. Great food, good pizza and sushi, ala carte Mexican is the best, even the buffet is good! Wish I was going back now... 24" of snow here in CT!!!

michigan
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

I will post my review later today.....we love the RIU Caribe!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

Anyone who visits the Riu Caribe in the next few months, please get in touch with me. We are going to the Riu Caribe Apr. 24-May 3, 2012 and there are rumors that they will close the Caribe to complete the updates.

Really worried that if they are in the process of "closing up shop", we will get stuck staying at a hotel where they are not taking care of things or have enough staff or taking care with the housekeeping and food prep, etc. because they are working with skeleton staff until they shut down. Have been told we would be put up at new hotel IF it was open - which is OK, but if not, we would be stuck going to Riu Cancun and the beach there is small, rocky and not good, and pool area very small as well. Any info anyone can find out on Caribe closing date and Palace Peninsula opening would be appreciated!

seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

The Riu Palace Peninsula will open the summer of 2012. The Riu Cancun has a beautitul long beach out in the front of the hotel. Been there. All rooms are ocean view and the food and pool is wonderful. We actually stayed next door at the Riu Palace Las Americas and didn't like it cause the beach was not nice and the pool shoved in the corner and hard to find seating around the main pool. We were there for eight nights but kept finding ourselves going next door to the Riu Cancun and enjoying there beach, pool and nightlife. Plus Cancun just finished complete remodel of thousand and thousand of dollars for the beaches. Good luck.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

The New Riu Palace Peninsula, like all Rius this place looks awesome!!!

riu.com/en/…7

just wish it was opening sooner... I think we'll be giving the New Iberostar Cancun (the old Hilton Cancun) a try Easter 2012 and the Riu Place Peninsula the following year.

Penna
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

Do you have any updates on thus resort? How will the price be compared to Riu Caribe? Nicholas had told me they are also going to redo the Riu caribe and air condition the lobby etc

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

Palace properties are usually priced higher

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

Can you use the facilities at the new Riu Palace Peninsula if you are staying at the Riu Palace Las Americas?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New RIU Palace Peninsula

We could see the cranes atop the new RIU this week while in Cancun- question.. will the Peninsula be ocean front or lagoon front... or both?