We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ace Rent A Car

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
149 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Ace Rent A Car

Has anyone used Ace Rent A Car?

www.acerentacar.com

What do you think of them and is the pricing good?

What kind of insurance do you need to purchase to drive in Mexico?

Any suggestions of other cheap rental places and advice is welcome! Thanks!

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ace Rent A Car

We always use Easy Way car rental. Take out all insurances. Easy Way is honest, friendly and reasonable.

Edited: 03 February 2011, 14:08
Vancouver
Level Contributor
149 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ace Rent A Car

Shouldn't you have insurance at all?

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ace Rent A Car

Yes, I said take all insurances.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ace Rent A Car

Do not rent with Executive/ACE in Cancun

We reserved a car, showed up at the terminal desk and were told they had no car for us. We went the their office where one picks up the cars and we saw cars. Those were broken. But then they rented one to someone. She had apparently prepaid. Then another guy shows up for a car and I ask him if he prepaid and he said that he hadn't and they still gave him a car. I offer to pay more for a car and they still won't give us one. After four hours and 4 or 5 calls to customer service we finally get a car (for twice the reservation price) and are on our way (we planned a 10 day road trip through southeastern Mexico). On the second day of our trip, the car breaks down in the middle of the mountains. We are stranded until a policeman saves us, calls a tow truck, and takes us to the nearest town (1 hour away). We take a taxi to our next stop (2 hours away) and eventually, after more calls to customer service, another rental car is delivered by a mechanic and his family. By this time we are 16 hours from Cancun and it takes a couple of days to get the new car.

Our trip continues normally until we drop the car off. They want to charge us 25,000 pesos ($2000) for the engine overheating. I tell them that the engine would only overheat if there was a maintenance problem with the car (e.g. stretching the coolant with water) and they tell that I shouldn't worry about it because my credit card company has car rental insurance that will cover it. They told us we couldn't leave the country unless we paid. They even tried to charge my credit card without my authorization. We even had the cops called who said we could do nothing but pay unless we were willing to miss our flight (we would have to go see a magistrate two hours away to resolve the dispute).

We are still trying to get this resolved (3 months later). By the way, our insurance expressly does not cover mechanical failure of rental cars so they don't end up paying the bill for a rental companies failure to maintain its fleet.

These guys are rotten through and through and will think nothing of ruining your vacation and milking you for every cent they think they can get. DO NOT RENT WITH THEM!

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ace Rent A Car

I used Ace Rent A Car in Austin, TX by booking online through one of those travel sites. I chose Ace because they had the lowest prices. Our experience with them was awesome. The friendliest staff (maybe because we were in Texas?), best price, and the sales manager who greeted us upon returning the car was so friendly and sent me an email giving me a discount on my next rental with them.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ace Rent A Car

I have used Ace dozens of and never a problem , easyway is also good. I rent 8-10 times per year in Cancun. never ever take all the insurance, only take the mandatory liability. your credit card company covers comprehension and collission, call CC company and ask them to send you a copy of policy

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ace Rent A Car

Worst experience I had ever had in my life regarding rent a car.

Despite ACE attendant confirmed by mail 24hour service in Cancun Airport, they have not answer my calls when I arrived.

In the end, I had to call any company in the airport.

Again, worst experience ever. Seems like a joke. How ACE can do it with customers?

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ace Rent A Car

Anna , I know little about Ace but would trust BVG's endorsement . I would caution you to be ABSOLUTELY sure that your credit card insurance covers you with Mexico's altogether different civil laws than our own . ICBC roadstar coverage that does cover you in other provinces and even the U.S. does not cover you in Mexico . If you have more than one credit card you must use the card you have researched to pay for the rental or the coverage is void . The nice thing about Easyway's website is that all insurance costs are shown and can be bundled . If your Ace quote is significantly cheaper than Easyway's then you are likely not actually comparing equal products . BVG Steve has done his research but my own no cost card does NOT cover me and so I take all insurances . Lastly , You MUST take the third party liability insurance at any renter , as Steve mentioned , but we read so many reports of people being surprised by this and feeling that they are being scammed at the counter . Keep asking and good travels .

Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ace Rent A Car

Just rented a van from them at Cancun airport. They were friendly, but ... I got a clunky, ugly car that had bad breaks and a low pressure tire.was forced to buy insurance that took the price way above the reservation price. I thought I was reserving with ACE, but it's really Blueway....

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ace Rent A Car

Clunky and ugly-who cares, but safety issues are huge! Get those repaired immediately which is not going to happen so ask for a replacement-citing the SAFETY issues! First your well being is at risk and their reputation is at risk which usually falls downward on their priorities. I've only asked for a quote once-years ago-and still receive emails after asking for removal from the list. If your plan to drive just consider another reputable agent. Another little known factor is quotes may not include the insurance which will jack the price up about double. That is the norm.