We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting sick in mexico

freehold, new jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
getting sick in mexico

we are traveling to cancun, mexico (our first trip) staying at the westin lagunamar in march...we have heard all kinds of stuff about getting sick....any advice..and did it happen to anyone staying here or eating close by...thank you so much for your input

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting sick in mexico

Hand sanitizer.

Don't overeat. Don't overdrink. Don't overcook in the sun.

Simple really.

freehold, new jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting sick in mexico

Thanks...you said it all...was concerned about the water.....heard a lot of stuff....made us feel a lot better.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting sick in mexico

Water on the hotel zone is purified with a water purification plant just like in the US. Off the hotel zone drink bottled water. People who talk about getting sick usually haven't been but are great at passing along their own personal biases. Go and have a great trip.

Cheryl

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting sick in mexico

I am one of those who have been sick in Mexico from the water. I think I must be very sensitive, but it was from ice in a drink at a restauant in Puerto Vallarata and not sure where I drank water (probably ice again) in Rosario. However, I have never been sick in Cancun. I drink bottle water away from the resort area as well. (Believe me there's no mistaken being sickened by the water).

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting sick in mexico

luckily for us twice in cancun and twice haven't had any stomach problems...we ate fruit, produce, and ice at our hotels including water that the bar gave us...(i did see that it came out from a large 2 liter water bottle); but whenever we were off property, we brought our own bottled water with us always and we were cautious not eating ice or drinking anything that wasn't in a bottle, including at restaurants. in addition, when off property, we avoided eating anything like fruit, salads, ceviche, basically anything that wasn't cooked.

i am sure everything is fine but we took precautions to what we ate in addition to not over indulging in alcohol on the beach along with too much sun.

Marshfield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting sick in mexico

Talk to your doctor before you leave and get some antibiotics. If you get the stomach bug, ie: diarrhea, taking Cipro for 2-3 days will resolve that. It is recommended on the CDC web site for treatment of "travelers diarrhea" It has worked for me over the years and can save your vacation! Most of the time by the second pill you feel 100% better. Your doctor should have this information for you, I usually take 6 tablets along on every trip I make out of the country just in case. Good Luck.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting sick in mexico

My husband has had food poisoning 3 times....every time from a very high end restaurant in the US!!

We've been to mexico the last 4 years and neither of us has ever gotten sick. Have a great time, use common sense and don't worry!

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting sick in mexico

We visit Mexico (CUN and PVR) roughly every three months. The only sickness we've had is self inflicted hangovers. I always bring OTC stomach remedies - but they always stay in the suitcase (I'm afraid I will jinx us if I unpack it - lol) We drink bottled water - brush our teeth from the tap, and double check with the hotel concierge if there are any red flags recently in the restaurants - they are always glad to tell you of any problems. Keep in mind, these are tourist towns that depend greatly on tourist dollars, so they don't want you to get sick, they want you to be happy and return. The above posters have offered some great advice and I agree with addition - if you are new to Mexico, eating yogurt a couple of weeks prior to your departure can help your stomach - I still have my teen do this - as I have for the past 9 years. Have a great trip and give us a full report when you return.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting sick in mexico

I take OTC meds like gravol, immodium and tylenol with me no matter what country I am visiting. I like to be prepared just in case.

Nancy

Louisiana
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting sick in mexico

We got mildly sick the first couple of times we went to Cancun but not enough to keep us from having a good time. Now we take probiotic acidophilus for a couple weeks before and while we are in Cancun and we haven't been sick in years. It's a friendly bacteria that helps with digestion, especially when eating and drinking things you're not used to. You can do a search on this forum and find out all about it. It can be bought anywhere vitamins are sold. We also use hand sanitizer which is a good habit at any buffet when others have been touching the serving utensils.