We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moon Palace - Which section is best?

Wales
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Moon Palace - Which section is best?

We are a party of 30 travelling to the Moon Palace in November for my daughters wedding.The guests range from young children through to 60 year olds.Can anyone advise us on which section of the resort would be best for our group and does anyone know how accomodating they are in fullfilling requests for the party to be allocated rooms close to each other.

Locust Grove...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moon Palace - Which section is best?

I don't think you should necessarily all stay on the same "side". A lot of things will enter into the picture. How many days? How many rooms? Will you have a Presidential Suite or 2? Children , all ages, are best suited for Sunrise. The playground, miniature golf, water sports, awesome pools,kiddie pool are all located on Sunrise or between Nizuc and Sunrise. Grand is beautiful and quieter with larger rooms, 2 restaurants, 3 pools, great transportation between all 3 sides or a lovely walk on the walkway along the beach. If you'll have a suite which will become a central location, try to get one close to Nizuc rather than the far North end of Sunrise, When we were there in 11/10, only Grand and Sunrise had breakfast buffets. I'm not sure if this is true during high season. Nizuc is older but still very nice. Fewer kids are there. We've been at Sinrise and Nizuc many times but last Nov, we were in the last Nizuc building, next to Grand ,and we will for sure choose Grand for our next trip for the 2 of us.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moon Palace - Which section is best?

Last time I was there, the Grand side only had one pool and one restaurant open and just a very few rooms were completed and occupied.

The resort is so spread out, I'd have to recommend staying on the same "side" or at the very least avoid having people staying on the opposite ends (Sunrise and Grand) - depending on how much together time everyone wants. If you don't plan on getting all 30 people together for each meal, then maybe it won't be such an issue.

We stayed in a Nizuc room with ocean view (not the building next to the Grand but the next one over). The room was good. We toured the Grand section (when we did the membership thing) and say that those rooms were a bit nicer. Only a small percentage of the rooms at the resort are what you would call true ocean view.

The pools at Sunrise and Nizuc may be a bit more interesting to the kids than the Grand pools.

Rooms at Nizuc and Sunrise close to the main buildings will have a lot of foot traffic outside with people going into the main buildings.

Just some things to consider. If it were me organising the trip, I'd go with Grand, but like nanasal says, there are many things to consider.

Wales
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moon Palace - Which section is best?

Thank you both for your information.We are all staying for 2 weeks and having read your comments my initial thoughts are,as most of the guests are families with pre teen kids, it would be better to look at the Sunrise.Are there any better areas of that section we should request or ones to try to avoid?We don't have an issue with being away from the main buildings,infact we would probably prefer it and would rather be close to the pools or the ocean.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moon Palace - Which section is best?

We have stayed in the Mango building which is right next to the Sunrise pool and requested that again for this year. It is connected directly to the back doors of the lobby, which is nice. You are also by the steak restaurant right down by the pool and beach. Check the palace web site for their map and you should be able to pick out some buildings you would like to be in.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moon Palace - Which section is best?

What is the difference between Sunrise v.s. Nizuc v.s Grand when it comes to

1. Concierge level rooms v.s oceanfront v.s oceanview etc?

2. Setbacks from the beach?

Are all the concierge level rooms, or presidentals in the grand for example?

Or is it just age? Sunrise has been there since opening, grand is what only 2 years old.

I have only seen the sunrise section, not the other two, might take a look when down there in June, seeing how we will go down to MP on the bus for a afternoon.

P.S. Fast question were is the miniature golf located in the resort? By the basketball/tennis courts? Never did find it last year, want to do this time around if possible. Maybe Kayaks as well. Last year we just sat at the sunrise monster pool for like 3 hours, and that bored me to death after 30 minutes.

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moon Palace - Which section is best?

C-busDawg:

Nizuc is the oldest, original section of the resort. Sunrise was built second, then Grand is the newest. Nizuc and Sunrise look alike (those pinkish, salmon colored buildings). Grand looks completely different (cream colored buildings). All three areas have presidentials, concierge rooms and ocean views/ocean fronts. In Nizuc and Sunrise, the only rooms that are directly ocean front are the Presidentials. Those do sit very close to the beach. Lots of Sunrise and Nizuc rooms have ocean views...but sometimes it is just a sliver of the ocean when you stand on the far end of your balcony and crane your neck....you get the idea. The only ocean front building in Grand is set very far back. I hesitate to even call it "ocean front". In fact, the bottom floor views of the ocean in that building are obstructed by the landscaping/beach sand dunes. Those "ocean front" rooms in Grand are three bedroom Villas. All other rooms in Grand, even the Presidentials, have a garden view.

The miniature golf course is located between Sunrise and Nizuc, not by the tennis/basketball courts. It is near the climbing tower, just set back from the beach more.

Locust Grove...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moon Palace - Which section is best?

In Nov, we upgraded to concierge at Nizuc. They told us then that the last block of buildings in Nizuc , 8400 I think,are the only concierge rooms for Sunrise and Nizuc. It was first floor, ocean front , steps away from all the shuttles, Caribbean restaurant and the concierge beach. All of that building are ocean front. Being so close to Grand, it's a given that we will stay at Grand this year when we go. It's gorgeous.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moon Palace - Which section is best?

Make sure you are in contact with your wedding cordinator about room locations as she can help to make sure your guests are all close to each other, the resort has over 2300 rooms and if you don't keep an eye on things your guest could be spread all over the place!

9. Re: Moon Palace - Which section is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 01:16