We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Chiapas

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
249 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Chiapas

Arriving in Cancun on 12/25 for about 30 days Would love to spend 2 weeks travelling and seeing towns and mercados headind to Chiapas and then finish of w 2 weeks at a beach town like Puerto Morelis or Playa del Carmen We are "seniors' but we like to explore Dont think i need to drive but ok w buses so i need help planning those first 14-16 days .Where to go and how long to stay

Want to plan now because that is a busy season .

Will book our beach lodging now but could we just "wing it" for the first 2 weeks ...

Cancun
Level Contributor
483 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Chiapas

Chiapas is AMAZING! Make sure to fit the following attractions into your schedule:

1. Palenque

2. Sumidero Canyon (boat ride!)

3. Misol-Ha

4. Agua Azul

When I went a few years ago, we stayed in the city of San Cristobal. I highly recommend staying there, at least for a few days. Beautiful, beautiful city!

Make sure to bring clothes for hot weather, cool weather and cold weather.

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Chiapas

Indeed Chiapas is wonderful!!!!! I have been there many times, in fact I was there over x-mas a few years ago and they do have quite a celebration. The coffee is the best in the world IMO, and the mayan ruins are beautiful. I would probably just take the ADO bus or one of them nice ones. Plan on a full day getting there. maybe visit Meridia on the way for a couple of days.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Chiapas

Bus info;

www.ticketbus.com.mx/wtbkd/I18n.tb…

Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
249 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Chiapas

Thanks for the quick responses

The more i read ,does it make sense to fly into Mexico City from Phila and then fly home from Cancun Both cities are covered by my USAIR mileage plan ?

Can all of this be done by buses ...???

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,175 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Chiapas

It can all be done by bus and you will find them all on ADOs ticketbus website. I am in San Cristobal now---probably my favorite place in Mexico. Wide variety of hotels , many at very low prices.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Chiapas

I love San Cristobal = ) Magic town no doubt......

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Chiapas

Fly to Cancun!!! Mexico City is a burn.........

San Cristobal is indeed wonderful

Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
249 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Chiapas

So we plan on arriving late afternoon on 12/25. Should we try to get a flight to Tuxtla and arrange to get to San Chistobal (our base town) or bus it to San Christobal from Cancun?

Are there other travel options. ?

I think 8-10 days in Chiapas then just go to a beach town for a couple of relaxing weeks. Thinking Isla Mujeres

Open for any ideas.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Chiapas

Tuxtla to San Cristobal is easy.....taking the bus from Cancun to San Cristobal is going to be a long trip, like 20 hours.

You could fly to Cancun, bus to Merida (~4 hours), spend a few days there, then bus to San Cristobal from there (~12 hours).

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Chiapas

Another idea, because flying to Tuxtla seems very pricey, would be to do something like:

-- Fly to Villahermosa (cheaper)

-- 2 hrs bus ride to Palenque, see ruins

-- 5 hrs bus ride to San Cristobal, spend some time

-- 12 hrs bus to Merida (overnight), see Merida for a few days

-- 4 hrs bus to Cancun, spend time, fly home.