We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort wayne
2 posts
Save Topic
Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

My family of four is travelling to Cancun ( Gran Caribe Real) next week. I was wondering where do all you fellow travellers keep your personal belongings while at the beach , specifically your passports and other documents? I am excited but also nervous as its my first trip and I am travelling with a 5 year and a 1.5 year old.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

In general, yes. We have been traveling throughout the region for the past 17 years and have never had a problem. Just don't forget to lock the safe. If you want further protection you can always buy a secondary lock for the safe. Here is a link to give you an idea:

http://www.milockie.com/

Have a great trip.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

I would keep them in the safe. That's where we always keep everything and we have not had issues. We also have luggage with locks so we may put large valuables (like a laptop) in our bag if it doesn't fit in the safe. Still, the safe is the best option.

In cases where people say their safes were compromised, one of two things happened. 1. They didn't close it properly or 2. The resort had a bad apple employee in their security staff.

In the case of 2, usually you will see a bunch of complaints on TA about a specific property and then the complaints suddenly stop. GCR is one of the better resorts in the area and it is run by the same team that runs the #2 property in Cancun. For the most part, they have their stuff together and I wouldn't worry about it.Even when their have been theft problems (can't recall a problem at the Royal or GCR), they are very isolated.

The main point is lock everything up. Do not leave valuables unsecured in any hotel room regardless of where you are. Also, I wouldn't bring a bunch of valuables down to the pool or beach. I would think they have a better change of getting lost or stolen on the beach than they would in the safe.

The milockie is also a good idea for extra protection.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

We have always used the room safe for our passports. But we take copies of them and keep them with us just in case. Have never had a problem thank goodness

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

I use the room safe and have never had any problems. I also put the little chit that's given back to us at Immigration inside there so it doesn't get lost. (It's a pain in the butt if these get misplaced, so be careful with them.)

One in a while, you'll hear about thefts from safes, although I haven't seen anything like that on these boards for a long, long time. Such thefts are usually of small amounts of cash, rarely the whole wad. I'm not saying the thefts don't occur but one has to wonder if they're really thefts at all and not just miscalcuations on the part of the person who put the money there.

In ALL my time on these boards, I have NEVER seen any reported thefts of passports. It just doesn't look to me like they're targetted at all.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

When I read this, I can't help but wonder - if the safe isn't a safe place in your room to keep things, what is a safer place? What are your alternatives?

Use the safe. That's why they are provided.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
41,862 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

¨In ALL my time on these boards, I have NEVER seen any reported thefts of passports. It just doesn't look to me like they're targetted at all.¨

Agree. I have never understood all the paranoia about passports. I have traveled in much of the world and , while I am careful, I dont spend much time worrying about it. I once had a friend lose it in Mexico and his only comment after replacing it was ¨that was easier than replacing my drivers license¨.

Also, while I am very careful with my laptop on buses, bus terminals, etc.,

I leave it connected on the desk in my hotel room. Never a problem. I dont stay in the cheapest of budger places but I do use smaller Mexican hotel when I travel in Mexico.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

Have not been to your resort, but with some, you set your own password to get in...no key needed. I am sure there would still be a way to bypass that if someone had the knowledge of how. We always use the safe and have never had a problem. Have fun

Fort wayne
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

Thank you all for the responses . I think I will use the safe without worries. The milockie is a good idea, might buy it:)

dallas
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

We've heard of Passports being stolen, but not from hotel safes. It has usually been pickpockets on the streets in Barcelona or Paris or some such place, expertly pulling them out of pockets of people who didn't trust their hotel safes.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it Safe to use the hotel room safe for Passports?

Room safes are safe. It is possible to bypass the lock, but only the shift manager should have that ability (stress on should), in the event someone forgets their password.