We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

falkirk
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

Going to Mexico should we take dollars or pesos and how much and who should we tip. J

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
15,365 posts
65 reviews
132 helpful votes
1. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

Tipping is a personal choice, no right answers for 'how much is the right amount'.

Personally we tip about 15% in restaurants, 30-50 pesos a day for the maid, 20 pesos for the mini bar stocker, about 20 pesos a bag for the bellboy, an average of 10 pesos a drink at the bars.

The dollars versus pesos is also controversial- we only use pesos in Mexico though.

Are you from the UK? then definitely pesos, no sense bothering to exchange sterling to USD. We get pesos from the ATMs, or buy them from our bank before the trip. The latter method is not as economical, BUT has the advantage of being able to ask for small denomination peso bills for tipping, as the ATMs give out larger ones and sometimes in some places it can be hard to find enough smaller bills

Lincoln,ne
Level Contributor
64 posts
2. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

We always use dollars, we take lots of $1 bills for tipping, maids, bartenders, waiters, etc. They really appreciate anything.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
528 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

We just got back and i just used dollars. I don't think they mind!! :-)

We stayed in an AI but I still tipped the bartenders very well. They work so hard and are so friendly and as a result- they WILL remember you and hook u up while everyone else is waiting!!

Walbridge, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
4. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

How much did u bring to tip with we are going for a week do u think a 100$ 1$ would be fine ?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
41 reviews
38 helpful votes
5. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

Chickenwing - tipping is an individual choice, whether to do it and how much. Personally, I normally take several hundred dollars for a typical 10 day stay. But that's my own choice and for my own reasons....I have family members who work in the service industry, so know the value of a tip; we have been going to the same resort for 15 years, so have long term relationships with many of the staff; I get excellent personalized service, which deserves a good tip; I know the wage scale for service workers in Cancun, and know that they depend on tips; and lastly - but not least - I'm normally a generous tipper. Use your best judgement...I'm confident that you will decide that tips are both earned and deserved by the staff.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
528 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

I get a soft heart when I go to other countries where I know the wages are so low yet they are busting their butt working. So I definitely over tip them compared to what I would do at home!

Usually I'd give the bartender at the pool that I knew I'd be seeing all day 5-10$ and they were so happy. I was a little turned off that most people don't tip at ALL. Come to think of it, I did not see one person tipping the entire 9 days I was there. Not even a dollar!

Prescott Ontario
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
42 reviews
92 helpful votes
7. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

$1.00 every second drink

$3.00/day maids

$5.00/bell hops

$10.00/ala carte

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
37 reviews
30 helpful votes
8. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

We usually tip $2 for our drinks, meals we usually do $5.00, $2-$3 for maids, bellhops. And at the end of the week if we have had excellent service from certain individuals, they will get a $20 on our last day. They made pennies for all the work they do, so we figured if we can afford to go there on vacation, we can afford to tip them.

Cancun
Level Contributor
488 posts
18 reviews
14 helpful votes
9. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

Good advice from previous posters on the amounts.

As someone who knows a lot of people working in Cancun resorts, I can say that most employees prefer US dollars because the exchange rate is a bit high right now. ($5 dollars is worth more in Mexico today than it was a few years ago.)

That being said, pesos are perfectly fine as well. :) Whichever is easier for you.

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
37 helpful votes
10. Re: Tipping should it be dollars or pesos

i always bring $2 dollar bills. they are not as common, and i did have one person who was selling stuff on the beach see my 2 dollar bill and asked if i could pay with that. i figure less actual bills to carry and if the resort workers like them, then hey, works for all!