We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Lice

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Lice

How prevalent is Sea Lice in Cozumel? Should I go ahead and purchase some of the preventative and wear it every time I snorkel, or is it not too painful and I can just take my chances?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Lice

VERY itchy. Take the Sea Safe and use it every time IF the place you're swimming regularly has given you "the itch" after your fist swim without it. Did that make sense? Duh.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Lice

I think there are times of the year that it is worse than others. I have been going for almost 10 yrs and haven't had any problem. We go mid July - mid August every year. For me - if I need some cortizone cream I'll go to mega and get some. Otherwise I don't want to pack more than I need. But we always have a car - so getting around is not an issue for us.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Lice

We have been traveling to Cozumel in April, May, or June for 14 years & have never encountered sea lice.

Good Luck!

Breckenridge, TX
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Lice

We have been going to Coz for numerous years and staying at the Park Royal and NEVER HAD A PROBEM

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Lice

I've been going to Coz 16 yrs and never gotten it. But as I mentioned on another post, my grandson did and a few years ago, his dad did.

It may depend on how much time you spend in the water as to your chances of getting it.

For me, I don't care, but for kids, it seems to be pretty painful. Kids just take some things worse than adults. He was in a world of pain.

Just go with your gut, I would say. If you start itching terribly, you'll know what you have.

Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Lice

Well I am staying at Park Royal, but so far, it sounds like I'll just take my chances. For the amount of time we will be in the water, I would have to buy bottles and bottles of the stuff. I will have a car, so I guess I will just get some cortisone if we do end up with it.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Lice

The only time we had a problem was out in front of El Coz in May during our day pass. Safe Sea did not work for us.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
260 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Lice

I have been unfortunate enough to have been stung a few years back....once it happens to you, you never forget it...an ugly, raised severly red and incredibly itchy rash....it lasted for over a week and only subsided after I got back to the US and got a shot at the dr.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
565 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Lice

Do you have to choose between sunscreen and this product? Sounds like they would cancel each other out.

I'm going for the sunscreen if so, since there is 100% chance I'll get burned if I don't. These things sound like bed bugs - horrible if you encounter them, but not bad enough to obsess over, I've been stung by jellyfish before and the vinegar followed by cortisone helped. I have those things readily available.

If it was a severe problem, wouldn't more shops in Cozumel carry the product (albeit at a very high price)?

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Lice

I ordered Safe Sea yesterday from Amazon. The bottle I ordered has 30 SPF, so you should be fine without sunscreen if you wear the Safe Sea.