We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Rates

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Rates

Apparently the taxi union has agreed to a 20% increase which will be implemented in December or early January. The exact rates havent been announced but should be coming soon.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Rates

I saw this also. I wonder if this will have a ripple effect to the "mainland"? When we are there I will ask around and see what they say.

I am sure they will not be going down.

PolloMan

fort worth
Level Contributor
991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Rates

Youch. That is not going to help the restaurants get more business.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Rates

That's funny, the taxi union "has agreed" to a 20% increase, how much did they want?!

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Rates

They claim that their expenses have increased 40%, so maybe that's where they started?.........don't know. They mentioned the downtown fares going from 18 to 20-22 pesos, but what the heck will the new rates be for the southern hotels now.....yikes.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Rates

They will soon price themselves out of the market. People can rent a car for 2 days vs 1 return trip to town in a cab

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Rates

I think lots and lots of folks (especially those staying at the south hotels) will just take the shuttle to their resort and stay there until time to return to the airport. Many are afraid to rent a car...or they want to drink and not drive. That's a shame.

Edited: 04 October 2012, 17:34
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Rates

I assume the shuttle van rates will increase also since they are taxi union people?

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Rates

ouch!

If nobody "tips" the driver, will they fight for a roll-back? Saying they are loosing money?

Doubt it! This 20% raise will become normal or accepted within the year.

I'll bet renting a car goes up next year too.

I'll bet the vans (from the airport) goes up next year also.

Progress is here.

Davisburg, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Rates

Glad our trip is in November before this price increase. Too bad they are increasing their costs as it may hurt tourism in the longrun. We usually rent a car but plan to use shuttle and taxi services this year instead and hang out at our resort on the south end most of the week. The south end will be hurt by this for sure!

10. Re: Taxi Rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 19:18