We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
457 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

We are staying at the new Secrets Aura. Do we need our own snorkeling equipment or do they have some on site. And we have a swim up room. Any suggestions what building we should ask for?

Thanks,

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

I believe that snorkeling equipment is included in the AI. However there is usually a time limit. (2 hours?) plus you cannot take it offsite. We take our own. It fits correctly & is just simpler. It depends how much you plan to do.

The new Secrets map does not have building numbers on it. I would recommend the previous Building 14. Less foliage to interfer with your views. It is on the left of the semicircle when you are on the beach facing the resort.

Have fun!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

I'd always rather use my own quality equipment, it doesn't cost that much and isn't hard to carry.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 19:04
MaconMO
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

Don't waste money on fins you won't need them.

Mask and breathing tube can be bought at WalMart! Done, yours, and cheap!

MaconMO
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

Forgot - bring water shoes too. The rocky shore is a bit rough but doable and you can always enter off the pier. I found they were nice to have on the beach too cuz the coral sand is rough on your feet after a while.

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
457 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

Thanks for all of the help. I have my water socks and snorkel ready to go. :) And more advise is truly appreciated.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

Is there a dive shop there that can take people to off-shore snorkel sites? If so any idea of the costs?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling

I think most dive shops would arrange it for you, but there are several other snorkel providers that specialize in providing offshore snorkeling. They vary from small operations with personal service (no more than 6 on the boat) to larger boats that may have 60+ people that may feel a bit crowded - but may include other amenities like all you can drink or a beach stop with a buffet lunch. So, you need to decide what you want out of the trip. Many are already posted on Tripadvisor. Most will pick you up at your hotel beach/pier.

Costs may run anywhere from 30 - 80 dollars per person depending upon what you choose - what other things they offer as part of the trip.

Personally have tried FuryCatamarans www.furycozumel.com about 3 years ago and it was fun, though crowded, and included a beach cookout and unlimited drinks. Trying to find info on the smaller glassbottom/snorkel outfit we used on our last trip - I think it was chacchoctours. Their staff was helpful.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,564 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling

I love getting a well chewed snorkel and leaky mask from a resort

HINT

Bring your own

And a snorkel vest / rash gaurd

Edited: 23 January 2013, 00:57
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling

Agreed. Bringing your own is safer, no guarantee on the hygiene on the provided ones.

And I have to suggest fins are a good idea. You'll feel more comfortable getting further away from shore and not tire yourself out swimming back in. Plus if you get caught in a little bit of current it makes it easier to swim out of it.

Check at your local dive shop. They will have open heeled fins that you can wear with neoprene boots. You can walk on the ironshore/beach with the boots - and slip them into the fins when you go snorkeling.

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
685 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling

Hi Ghostly Manor

We have gone snorkeling with these guys....

Captain Ron's Cozumel Boat Charters...

They have charters for snorkeling going out twice a day.

We did a private charter for 6 hours because we had a group of 13 and the service was outstanding...

Have fun in the sun....and can't wait to be there in 32 days :o)

Lyne in -32 degrees Gatineau, Canada