We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
JazzyV1822
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

Hi, Everyone

I am taking a cruise which arrives in Cozumel at 1:30pm and leaves at 10pm. I was originally very excited about learning how to scuba dive and explore Palancar Reef. Unfortunately, I am not a certified diver and learned that if I wish to Scuba dive, I will have to take an introductory Resort Course/Discover Scuba that will only take me to Paradise Reef (30-40 feet max). Is this a good Reef? Ive read that it is over crowded?

I do not mind taking the beginners course but now Im wondering if its worth it. Is it better to spend a few hours learning scuba basics and going to Paradise Reef or is it better to save the few hours/time and Snorkel? If I were to Snorkel, could I go to better reefs and see more interesting things? I would have to imagine that you see/experience more diving, right? But maybe not???

I was also considering that if I do decide to go the snorkeling route, than maybe I should visit Tulum Mayan Ruins. If I snorkel, could I can possibly fit in both a trip? to Tulum and time snorkeling? But again, I do really want to scuba and think it would be a cool and great experience. Is it worth it? Which option is better?

Thanks in advance

Jennifer

okc
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

I don't think you could fit them both in- You should go diving imho- it is amazing- paradise reef is fine been there many times. With the currents in cozumel you wouldn't want to get dropped off at palancar- it is a deep dive and the currents can be tricky. My first dive after getting cert. was at palancar horseshoe- i wish i had a private DM knowing what i know now. enjoy- 6 days to go for me.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

To me, there's no comparison, snorkeling to scuba. With scuba, you are up close and personal. Snorkeling pales by comparison. I'd do the Resort Course, and hopefully they will give you the basics on ship. Then when you get to Coz, you go scuba. Shouldnt be hours of instruction in advance, but it will be in a relaxed, controlled environment, of the pool. At Paradise Reef you will see plenty, dont know about how crowded it will be, but that also will be controlled, by your divemaster.

Neither will give you time to go see the ruins of Tulum, thats a trip all to itself. However, Coz does have some ruins, and Id think you could arrange a tour there, in the allotted time.

DO THE SCUBA, YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!!! ENJOY!!

P.S. Cozumel is considered "world class" diving, dont miss it! :)

Edited: 20 May 2013, 17:18
ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

Come back to the Riviera Maya for a land-based trip and see the ruins then -- there are two great sites in the area -- Tulum and Coba -- as well as many other fun things to see and do.

When in Cozumel, go diving! Paradise is a great reef with lots of life and is well suited for a first "in the aquarium" (rather than snorkeling on top of it) experience. While Palancar is (with reason) Cozumel's most famous reef, it is one that is best visited if & when you are SCUBA certified and have a few entries in your dive log.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 17:30
Ontario
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

One day? I'd snorkel. Save the diving for a longer trip, just in case it turns out you don't like it. I did a resort course a few years ago and there were some who wigged out in the pool (I was one!) and didn't go further than that (I did, though. DM talked me down and literally held my hand underwater)

Go snorkeling. There are some great ops on the island, ones that will work with your tricky hours on land. I'd have to recommend Tiger at tigersadventures.com. He is the awesomesauce, and you'll see SO much going out with him and his crew. Actually, he does a sunset tour now, and he might me able to sneak in some snorkeling on that--he did for us.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

Desmei I think Jennifer should SCUBA. Then, when she gets home, go get certified, and return to a full week of diving! Just think, if that instructor didnt force himself on you....errr...help you out lol, you'd still be topside. You gotta admit, snorkling doesnt doesnt do it, like gettin down under, does. :)

Edited: 20 May 2013, 17:58
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

I had done resort courses 4 times before getting certified in Coz and enjoyed each one , but non compared to what you will see in Cozumel!

If this is your first time to do this I can't think of a better location. Scuba hands down.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

Duffer48, that was my one and only dive trip. ;o) I'm a snorkeler, and I'm content with that. If I were in his fins, I wouldn't have let me underwater.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

We are snorkelers 'only' also...age, health, expense. It's the best we can do. Go snorkeling OP.

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
427 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

I agree with Froglegs - we just snorkel and for one day only, I would be a bit freaked out about the resort course for scuba. I was surprised to see so many responses for resort course as normally, I read responses about safety and getting certified first.

I would make reservations in advance with a tour (not thru the ship) and meet them to spend the early afternoon snorkeling.

Illinois
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day in Cozumel - Snorkel or Scuba Dive?

I would also say snorkel. I just got my OW certification this weekend at home and there is no way i would dive with a quickie lesson from a resort. Way to much to learn in a few hour class.