We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

What is an appropriate tip percentage to leave for services (bar tenders, waiters .. ect). My travel agent initially advised not to tip as the staff can get in trouble for accepting but it appears tips are ok and encouraged.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

I would DEFINITELY write the note. I've left what I thought were obvious tips only to have them left behind. The note doesn't have to say more than "Gracias", with the money left on top of the paper. The maid will take the money but leave the note.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

Never had a problem w/ the money on the pillow at over 8 hotels..with or without the note. Sometimes we wrote one and sometimes we didn't.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
911 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

Although tipping is not required at AI's, to me it shows appreciation and respect. At the Palace, we usually leave $5 daily for the room attendant, and if at the pool most of the day, tip $5-10 each to the waiters that served us. Usually leave a dollar or 2 at each bar visit. At breakfast, we always tip the Chefs and our waiter. I have seen MANY folks demand a lot then leave without even saying "thank you", which you will find, are 2 gracious words to them.

Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

Only hotel I remember we had to leave a note was Coral Princess. I tip them same at AI and non the same, they work extremely hard and long hours for the money.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 18:35
Planet Houston
6 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

I always tip at the Palace at about the already mentioned rates. I don't like soggy dollar bills either when I'm in and out of the pool, so my solution is to tip in pesos. The blue 20 peso notes are about ~$1.50 equivalent and are practically waterproof--very high plastic content, I guess.

toronto
Level Contributor
767 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

Generally, we find it is almost internationally accepted that anything left on the pillow is a tip for the maid. My son discovered this was even true in Prague when he accidently left a new shirt on the pillow and told me the maid stole it, we laughed as he had left tips there before and should have known better...anything we have left ton a pillow has always been taken with no note. If you give anything other than cash, a note may be appropriate so there can be no accusationsof theft. Generally we tip the bartender at the beginning of the day, ask when the shift ends and tip at the end of their shift. it saves walking around with the cash and ensures good service in the interim.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 15:49
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

it confuses me as to why people even ask this question..i feel they're hoping we'll say don't tip and let them off the proverbial hook

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

Maybe because travel agents continue to misform their clients and the clients want to do what is acceptable and right......at least this person came on here and asked.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

It is not just the travel agents, often the travel documents say tips are included. So no wonder people are confused.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Tipping at the Cozumel Palace

People continue to ask the question because it is confusing especially if you have never stayed at an AI. Our first trip was very last minute and I had very little time to research anything. All our papers said tips were included at el coz. It took us a little while to figure things out and make sure that it was even ok to tip! It was pretty easy to figure it out at el coz.

At the palace you will gladly tip as they are very helpful and appreciative! We tip $5 to 10 per meal and $1 per drink or 2 for both of us. We usually find a couple of people during our stay that are extremely helpful and may not normally receive tips and leave $20 or so to each just because we feel like it.

Craigmon, I reread the op and I did not feel they were expecting to be told not to tip. They were questioning amounts which makes sense since nothing is priced.