We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mundaca's grave

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Mundaca's grave

Where exactly is Mundaca's grave in the cemetery? is it hard to find? is the cemetery big? Thanks.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Mundaca's grave

Years ago, there was a small type zoo on the property. Is it still there?

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Mundaca's grave

A few buildings and cages left but no animals.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Mundaca's grave

That horrible palapa structure (everyone called it Big Bird when it was being built) completely overshadows the entrance to Hacienda Mundaca. It was very clearly visible before as you drove there. The large arch leading into it, the path clearly visible, the area around it just grass and dirt with coconut and shell vendors selling things. It was really nice. Now you can't even tell what's behind there with that awful structure obstructing it. I loved walking through there and saw it when there were still monkeys there in a cage that would steal your sunglasses if you weren't careful. They loved grapes and bananas and were very friendly. But I'm glad they're gone along with the other animals. They weren't kept very well and it was sad seeing them there.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 07:11
34. Re: Mundaca's grave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 March 2013, 15:51
Edited: 29 March 2013, 15:51
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Mundaca's grave

The monkeys became not as friendly over the years, and they put up a fence to keep people back from them. and when hurricane Wilma was heading towards Isla all of the animals were moved to Xcaret.

The really loved my son when he was little, they were playing with the velcro straps on his shoes, it was really cute until this happened!

mapchick.com/wordpress/…alecmonkey.jpg

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Mundaca's grave

Ouch! That looks like they were really pulling on his hair.

I'm glad they moved all the animals out. Conditions were really not very good for them there and they weren't really being well-kept.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Mundaca's grave

Oh those monkeys can be naughty!! Cute picture, still. :)

"Yes, I've thought about it, and I've done a little bit of cavern diving (Bonne Terre mines near St. Louis)"

I know I have told you this before, Doug- but I am SO jealous you got to dive there! You really should try to do Dos Ojos though, it's very cool. And in both meanings, pack your thickest wetsuit! lol

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,829 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Mundaca's grave

Thickest wetsuit? Naw, that's when I pull out the drysuit. But could you imagine packing a drysuit for Mexico? They've probably never even seen one! LOL.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Mundaca's grave

One of our favorite family photos, :) my daughter always tries to make me feel bad for taking a photo before rescuing him ;) Actually they were just petting him and being sweet, then they got aggressive very quickly.

I promise, we pried those little monkey fingers off of him in seconds!

Tourists were feeding them things they shouldn't be eating and were just not that well taken care of.

The jaguar in his cage always looked sad to me.

40. Re: Mundaca's grave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 01:17