We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

We have been to Isla and had no problems with the water.... but friends who are contemplating accompanying us on the next trip are inquiring about the drinking water situation..... "apparantly" / "I think" that the bigger hotels like PA have their own purification / filtering system, what about the rest of the islands' water that goes to all the restaurants ? Any thoughts on that ?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
39,096 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

Just buy bottled water or fill up your reusable water container with ice from your hotel

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,738 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

For drinking purposes (and to make ice if you are in a condo), most hotels provide water in large garrafons. As for the restaurants, their water used to wash produce, make ice, etc. is safe. I have never had any food/water issues on Isla.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
856 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

Many of the hotels on the island have 5-gallon jugs of purified water. It is readily available at all of the restaurants and grocery stores also. Some people don't have a problem drinking the tap water, but I got terribly sick once when I accidentally used tap water for brushing my teeth.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

My husband & I own a restaurant on Isla. It is a general practice for all foreign owned businesses to use microdyn (an antibacterial wash) to wash all fruits & vegetables, purified water is used for all soups, coffees, teas, lemonadas, etc. We all buy purified ice. The health department & sanitation routinely inspects us all to ensure safe & sanitary conditions in the restaurants.

At home we brush our teeth, bath, etc. in the tap water. I have been here almost 12 years & my husband has been here almost 16 years & we have never had a problem. I do not know any locals or Islanders that drink the water from the tap. Everyone has the big garrafons at their houses.

I do warn our guests to be careful of overloading on citrus. People don't realize how much lime is used down here in ceviches, cocktails, mojitos, salsa, margaritas, etc. As well as all the frozen drinks are made with real fruit juice not mixes. Add all that to some fresh juices & fruits & you may just have a tummy ache!

Have safe travels & we look forward to having you on the Island!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

Been going to Isla since 1999. We use bottled water for drinking and to brush our teeth and I am careful about getting water in my mouth while showering. We get 5 gal bottles of water from the agua man for about $2US. That being said...I wash fruits and vegetables in tap water using microdyne. I also use tap water for things like pasta where the water will be boiled. So far those procedures work for us. I have no problem drinking drinks from island restaurants as they all want us there spending money, not sick in our room.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

I've never had a problem on Isla with anything I've had at a restaurant. When drinking water i always use bottled and as someone pointed out many of the hotels have five gallon water bottles where you can refill your empty bottles.

Harley246,

I feel your pain! Two years ago at the Ai i was staying at in Cancun i didn't think and did the same thing while brushing my teeth. As soon as I'd done it I realized what I'd done and rinced my mouth with the entire travel sized bottle of Listerine I had, but it was too late the damage had already been doneand about 36 hours later it was abundantly clear how big of a mistake I'd made. It was at this time I found out that Imodium is a prescription drug in Cancun. I went to the local farmacia and tried to purchase it and the man behind the counter, who spoke almost no English, was trying to say I needed a prescription. He managed to get out "need doctor" and help up a piece of paper. I then told him I was a doctor to which he smiled and said " Ah you doctor?" I said I was and he then gladly sold me the Imodium. He never actually asked me what kind of doctor I am so I never mentioned I'm a doctor of Molecular Biology and not a medical doctor. Regardless, I got the Imodium which saved the rest of the vacation and it was lesson learned.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,738 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

LOL, you didn't lie and he didn't ask for more explanation! My father has a PhD in education, but the only time he identified himself as "Dr. Martin" was when he hoped to jump ahead of the line at a crowded doctor's office. It worked.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

DMartin,

Like your dad I never use the title. I taught in the University for 14 years and when a student would refer to me a Dr. I would tell them "you certainly would not want me operating on you, I can't write you a prescription and I don't have any interest in your medical history so don't call me Doctor." My name is Rick.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

I have brushed my teeth with the tap water from Villa Rolandi and never got sick but i always drink bottled water or water from those 5 gallon jugs.

I did get a really really bad stomach ache in feb when we visited and it was so bad my stomach muscles hurt for 2 days .

I think that was from to many drinks with juice in them. Namely many many Mango Margaritas!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drinking water on Isla Mujeres

Globetrekker, we were also at Villa Rolandi, in late February, and had no problems, was just wondering what the real situation was at the restaurants... lots of good responses.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 17:02