We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering

canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Volunteering

Does anyone know if they like to have volunteers come into the schools on Isla. If so who would the contact be. Thanks.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering

In a word, no. There is one volunteer organization that is trying to get volunteers into the primary schools here to teach English but they expect a longer term committment and also charge the volunteers a LOT of money to get into their program. Given the tense situation between the new federal government and the teachers union, it is not really a good time for any foreigners to become involved in the issues between the two. And it is not actually legal for any visitor to do volunteer work. There have been people who came to the island and did so and were deported.

canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering

Thank you so much for that. Really. One tends to forget that not all things are the same everywhere.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering

I am not sure I understand what you mean by it not being legal to volunteer. Do you mean just in public school? Many of us volunteered for years at the LaGloria English school. I also read all about people volunteering at the animal shelter and helping with the distribution of shoes, etc.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,109 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering

I was going to mention volunteering at Isla Animals. They can always use people to walk the dogs, play with them, help socialize them, bathe them, etc. Here's the website

http://islaanimals.org/

I know people used to volunteer on a short-term basis for the English School. Is the same opportunity available at the Little Yellow School house?

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteering

“Is the same opportunity available at the Little Yellow School house?”

From their website below...

littleyellowschoolhouse.org/getinvolved.html

GET INVOLVED!:

If you would like to get involved with the Little Yellow School House by hosting an event for the school, joining our Internship program or even donating a morning of your vacation time to helping us with school maintenance, please contact Lindell Lehrer at lindell@littleyellowschoolhouse.org

INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:

If you are experienced in any of the following and can speak Spanish:

Special Education

Speech Therapy

Child Psychology

Family Psychology

Music Therapy

Please contact Lindell about our Internship Program.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteering

Well.....at least I think I am safe from being deported.....

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,109 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteering

I can't speak for her but I think Islawoman meant in public schools.

Thanks for the info, WIBS. Very helpful.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volunteering

There were volunteers at the LaGloria English School who were deported. A whole lot of them. I think they revised their procedures after that. The Little Yellow School House is asking for help doing maintenance work around the facility, not in the classrooms unless you have special training and want to commit to an internship. I don't know what permits Alison has to allow people to volunteer but I know many do. The original question was about going into school classrooms.

Teachers in Mexico are very, very protective about their jobs and people coming in from outside are not generally welcome. The President of Mexico has jailed the national head of the teacher's union and in Cancun and many other cities in Mexico the teachers have been on strike in protest for months. The teachers on the island and mainland Isla also went on strike but voted to return to work after a few weeks. I am saying that the situation is very volatile at the moment and it is not a good idea for outsiders to do anything that might provoke a reaction.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Volunteering

That is why I asked if you were referring to public schools. It appears from your second post that you were speaking of all volunteers since you say some from LaGloria English School had been deported. I am just wondering why there are so many posts promoting volunteering at many places on the island if it is not allowed. I have been following all the strike info and would have no desire to enter into their problems, but I have a list of places wanting help and had planned to continue volunteering as I have for the last 5 years. This is the first I have ever heard of this.

Denton, Texas...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Volunteering

I have never volunteered at any of the schools, but have been very involved with Isla Animals. Also with getting donations for Cruz Roja. Wanting to volunteer with LYSH in December, and haven't heard anything that would make me think I shouldn't.