We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
255 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

My plan was to have breakfast outside of the hotel - that plan backfired as we lurched towards 10:30 and no one was getting up. We did do a quick visit to Barlitos after breakfast to deliver the books for the school. After that we headed to the pool and started to relax in the covered bedshades at one end. At lunch time (a little later then most) we headed to Playa Norte. My guess is this weather (Norte) has changed the feel quite a lot along the North end. Almost as soon as we turned onto it the wind kicked up that extra bit. Massage cabanas were deserted, beach side restaurants seemed empty or very quiet and sunbathers were not in abundance. This weather has certainly affected the normal ebb and flow of visitors and locals alike. So we walked down to the bridge and debated about eating at Fenix but decided to head back. In the end we chose Jax and overlooked the beach from the second floor. We had no famous burger and the rest seemed like average beach side fare that we would get in Longboat Key Fl. Not so thrilling on the food front but great view and friendly service.

Another pass, attempt, at poolside lounging and then up to the room. AC was still a work in progress which basically meant no progress but a lot of visits from maintenance men. Started to be really bothersome. Also time to turn our vanilla golf cart in for something spiffy as per the desires of husband and youngest daughter. By the way my husband also tells me although I signed all of the contracts for the first golf cart he did give them his license. Just clarifying something I got wrong on the first TR. So they went to Ciros where a fabulous selection of golf carts enabled them to score a pink Cadi. (For a rate of 550 pesos for 24 hours) So fine we elicited a sort of "K list" level response from random people when they see it on the streets. The downside is our 1st golf cart had a great deal more pep and vigor. Passing other golf carts is just a dream now from a time long ago. We get ourselves spruced out for a night at Lolo Lorena and at 7:10 head downstairs. At reception they offer us a room change because the AC is still a problem and they realize some major work needs to be done. Not an ideal time to mention this as our remaining nights seem few and I am already annoyed about the delay time in figuring out they need to do some major work. But lets just end the AC saga here by mentioning that finally the next morning the "boss" from a room beyond check-in desk sat me down for a run down. I basically said he should have jumped on the AC prob earlier then the many many visits it took to fix it and he agreed. He offered us all inclusive for the remaining time and a dinner for four on the beach to soothe our holiday disturbance and I said thank you. By the way there is no longer a two tiered All-In system. Not sure when this changed but a blue wristband covering everything is given to the adults. The kids keep their yellow bands. I had let them know we were out of the room for the day and they got to work. As I write this at 5 in the morning I am finally in a comfortable room.

So back to Lolo Lorena. It was a wonderful night with interesting table mates, perhaps one of the most enigmatic hosts I have come across, and a beautiful and unique setting. We came with our own wine but enjoyed a mojito that you can get there. The courses were mostly fabulous but a miss on one of them. I chalked that up to to fact that she is heading to Europe (in fact now gone) for a little over a week. Other news she relayed to us was that the price goes up to $45 upon her return. Since so many of her ingredients are imported her increased VAT costs are being taken into account. By the way I was surprised that 2 couples were a no show for the dinner. One couple showed up for dessert saying they got lost and then ate at Olivias' and then came. In this situation Lorena good naturedly brought out a giant bear to warm the seats of the no shows. She also effortlessly turned it into a non issue. After the dessert we headed to the back near her pool for a fire show.It was great fun and we loved it. A tip for his show seemed a small acknowledgment of how much fun we had. The family was definitely in vacation mode as we sped (not) back to PA.

Yesterday I got the girls on the move for breakfast at Barlitos'. Not a bad move as the food was very good. It really is a place where you can learn so much about the island if you just ask. We heard about the incredible papier mache craftsman beside the cemetery and a jewelry/wooden box store beside Asia Caribe. Later on I came back and sorted out a visit to Isla Animals to do some dog walking later on. I think this was the best route to touch base with them. Showing up unannounced I don't think would work as well. Our day was a bit of rain dodging and our first food as All In. Jury still out but I will report back. The girls also had a massage on the beach. They chose the huts on the left with pink hangings. They said they were good massages but can't say myself - I imagine I will try one today.

At 4:15 we went to dog walk some puppies. Great fun and beautiful, sort of secret location ( My retention of the directions was sort of sketchy so we were a little lost until we knocked on a gate door and heard a cacophony of barking - success) . It was great - enough said. OK - more to say - I have two girls now plotting to either smuggle the lot home or to figure out who we know that could do with a puppy. Islaanimals.org is the place to view these puppies looking for adoption. It does happen with one leaving yesterday to go to Canada. We will go back today I am sure for our afternoon stroll (run). Seems they like hours for volunteers after 11am and before they finish at 5:00pm.

Dinner was "a deux" for my husband and I and the girls stayed behind for room service. Menu not so inspiring I am afraid. We went off to Limone in our pink putt-putt and had a nice dinner. I was a go for El Chaco but after the rain on our way my husband seemed more inclined for something less sparse. One day I say I will return.

On the way we stopped out at the Los Iguanas for a margarita. I got the impression there were a few expats on their retired adventures and maybe the odd hotel guest. It seemed like a place I wish I could see in the daylight. Maybe today.

So today is here. Plans are for breakfast out and I guess we may try something close to the Dolphins that we are visiting. I would like to get a walk near the Mayan Ruins and maybe have lunch at El Varadero. Just hope our timing is ok. After that a little dog walking then our dinner on the beach if the weather holds up.

By the way this funky WiFi reception gets burdensome. I would have thought it would be humming at 5:15 am but Noooo - seems like 6:30am is the bewitching hour. Cannot figure it out. Oh well.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,674 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Fenix Lounge
Fenix Lounge
575 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
JAX Bar & Grill
JAX Bar & Grill
1,318 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Lolo Lorena
Lolo Lorena
701 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Asia Caribe
Asia Caribe
696 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,522 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
El Varadero
El Varadero
216 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,001 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

Fantastic TR, really love reading it. How was dinner at Limon?

Mentioned in this post
Limon
Limon
803 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

Thanks for another great report. Hopefully the sun will be out in full strength for the rest of your trip. If you get the time the daytime return to Las Iguanas would be worth it. It's a really cool place.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

Love your trip reports. You have a way of combining the good and the bad and making it sound OK. Thanks

canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

We brought a dog back to Canada with us last Feb. Clemente,he is wonderful. We go back in late January and I am on the look out here for someone that needs a puppy so I can pick and bring him/her back. I would get another but we already have 3 husband says no more :(

I agree about Jax, just ok but beautiful view and people watching from up there. The Sunday paella special at Las Iguanas is so good and a great price

Edited: 30 November 2013, 13:32
Mentioned in this post
JAX Bar & Grill
JAX Bar & Grill
1,318 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
255 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

We just did another round of dog walking. 4 rounds and 10 dogs. If we could I would whisk them away. It is odd how you can love them all but one steals your heart.

canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

That's what happened with us, we were walking them all having a good puppy fix till we could get home to our dogs then we met Clemente and it was done, before we knew it we were calling the airline and booking him in :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
522 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

Thank you for such wonderful detailed trip reports! I love your writing style and look forward to finding out how the rest of your trip turns out :)

I'm hoping to volunteer at Isla Animals in May. However, my husband is afraid I will fall head over heels and want to bring one of the dogs home. He thinks the one we have is enough but I think ours needs a companion ;) I see those sweet little faces Alison posts on FB and my heart melts- can't imagine what I'll do when seeing them in person!

8. Re: Trip Report with the Family - Day 2 and 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 00:17