We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

5 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

I almost dropped the idea of renting a car after going through all those internet posts on awful driving experiences in mexico, corrupt cops and speed bumps that wreck you axle. Renting a car is a great idea if you want the freedom to explore and see the country. After much debate we finally decided to rent a car to have the freedom to go places without relying on a tour bus.Btw,I am speaking for yucatan and Quintana roo region. We pretty much stayed on the toll road between playa del carmen and Merida. I don't know if we got lucky, but our experience driving in mexico was amazing without any hassles. Just make sure to fill up your tank, as gas stations are hard to find in this region. Our entire traveling experience was amazing and we found Mexicans to be very friendly, polite even without knowing their language.I definitely wouldn't let lack of spanish speaking skills prevent me from visiting Mexico, although its a good idea to learn a few basic phrases. If you're going to all inclusive, popular tourist areas you wont need to learn spanish at all. But if you get into small towns and rural areas you find less english speakers to almost no english.

The rules of the road are very similar to the United States; the basic traffic signals are all the same. Also the quality of most of the roads we traveled on was very good. We only encountered rough dirt roads the few times we drove the back ways through small villages. One word of caution, it is true that the road system is filled with speed bumps, some of which would be disastrous if you went over them at speeds greater than 10 mph.

I am so glad I found this car rental company in Merida.The owner of the company is Israel Bacelis. I was surprised to find a great deal after communicating with Abrahim Razu. He charged us $31/day including the insurance coverage required by Mexico. No deposit. Yes, you heard that right. Almost all companies I talked to had asked for a deposit of $400 - $3000USD.

He picked us up at the airport, dropped us off at our hotel and handed us our car keys.The entire process went smooth and we were so glad to have found him. I highly recommend him if you're planning to hire a car in Merida, Mexico. He's been in car rental business for the past 15 years and willing to help us all.

9 replies to this topic
hk108
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

Do you have a website or phone number for him?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,801 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

Thanks for the post. "after going through all those internet posts on awful driving experiences in mexico, corrupt cops and speed bumps that wreck you axle. " Like most things, only the very small percentage of renters with a problem post on TA. The vast majority have no problems, like yourself.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

Would you mind sharing their contact info?

Hoping to visit Merida in a few months and we're considering renting a vehicle so it would be great if we could go through a reputable company!

thanks in advance!

California
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

Do you have the contact information for Rental Car Company?

Newland, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

I did not see the name of who your rented your car from or where they are located.

Don

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

I agree with the OP about driving in the Yucatan. I was very nervous, but needn't have been- it was easy driving around Merida & Vicinity.. just watch the speed bumps- they are numerous and killer if you don't slow way down.

We rented from LaCurva: http://www.yucatanseasonalcarrental.com/ they were great. $30/day taxes and insurance included.

CA
Level Contributor
97 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

I agree with the OP. We just got back from Q. Roo and Yucatán. We had reserved a car from Alamo with the mandatory third party liability insurance, but opted for the full package at the counter. As with other rentals in other countries, we did take our time taking many pictures and a few videos of ANYTHING on the car. I also wrote down the name of everyone with whom I interacted. As a suggestion, because of the rain and humidity in this general area, make sure the windshield wipers and the air conditioner (especially the defogging function) work. We had had an issue with the first car, and when I called, Alamos sent a rep with a replacement car, TO THE APARTMENT where we were staying. That rep did offer me the "option" of me giving him 500 pesos for him to fill up the tank with no receipt, but I declined and went down the road and had it done and got a receipt. What helped with this gentleman is INSISTING on speaking English, even though I speak Spanish. It forced him to speak slower and helped me be very clear in the interaction. We returned the car in Mérida. The location is on the road leading to the airport like five minutes BEFORE, on the right. There too the car was inspected and I wrote down names. We got a printed final contract with no additional charges, and a few days later our credit card was charged accordingly. For us the expense and extra precautions were worth it because we covered A LOT of ground and had the freedom to go where we wanted, when we wanted. I hope that helps someone!

Creston, BC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

What is the name of the rental agency? Thanks.

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.

Hello All,

Sorry for a delayed response. The owner of the local rental car is Israel Bacelis israelbacelis@hotmail.com and his cell phone number is +521 9999551833 if you have WhatsApp that’s the best way to communicate with him.

Reply to: Car Rental in Mexico -Merida,Playa del Carmen, Tulum.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Merida