We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico Independence Day in Merida

Santa Paula...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico Independence Day in Merida

I am planning on being in Merida the week of September 10-17. Does anyone have suggestions regarding things to see and do related to Independence day? I am in my mid 40s and have been to Merida a few times before.

5 replies to this topic
Atlanta
Level Contributor
439 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico Independence Day in Merida

Although Independence Day is Sept. 16, it begins the night of the 15th with the Grito or Shout of Independence. Families gather on the squares and speeches are made and fun is had. I hope you were able to find this last night. Let us know what else was going on for the celebration.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico Independence Day in Merida

In the Plaza Grande in Merida there will be El Grito followed by music and fireworks. There will be lots of street vendors. Here is one link. dondehayferia.com/grito-de-independencia-201… Monday is a a holiday so people will party late into the night.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico Independence Day in Merida

My apologies. Today (September 16) is Independence Day.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico Independence Day in Merida

And Monday is not a holiday.

Santa Paula...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico Independence Day in Merida

Festivities began around 9 pm at the Plaza Grande on the 15th. We got there a little early and had dinner at La Jarana. It was the perfect place for people watching.

The streets around the Plaza were blocked off much further than usual. We had to go through a metal detector and walk by a narc dog about 2 blocks from the Plaza. However, it was pretty quick and unobtrusive.

There were a lot of people in the Plaza. There was live music, big screen TVs and general merriment. There was a slight rush for cover when it started to rain, but the storm passed quickly. After the Grito, the fire works were set off. I thought it would happen around midnight, but it seemed to take place closer to 11. It was like nothing I had ever seen, great and frightening at the same time. The fireworks were directly overheard and spectacular, but their remnants were literally overhead. Thankfully, I did not get hit with anything that was still hot or on fire.

The next day more streets around the downtown were blocked off. There was a great parade with bands, police troops and military personnel. It was fully on fiesta mode. Great experience.

Reply to: Mexico Independence Day in Merida
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted