We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
322 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

Hello-

Trying to plan our trip to Merida in November.

After doing some research, I've read that you can get a taxi to Uxmal from the cab stand at Calle 57-A and Calle 60 for 1200 pesos. I hope this isn't a stupid question, but would that be round trip, or do we have to pay 1200 pesos again to get back? If it's round trip, do you know how long the taxi driver would reasonably wait for us at Uxmal? 2-3 hours?

Our second option is to take the 2nd Class bus. There's one that departs at 1040. I believe there is a return bus a 330pm. Do you think 12:10-3:30 is enough time for us to buy our tickets, visit Uxmal and have a quick lunch? Also, is there a bus station in Uxmal or do we buy our return ticket the same time we buy our outgoing ticket? We are arriving in Merida at 8am that morning, so can't go on an earlier bus.

Later in the week, we will be staying in Valladolid and visiting Chichen Itza (perhaps for light show at night) and Ek Balam. We would really just like to see each place, not spend full days, but unsure if 2-3 hours is enough for Uxmal.

Thanks for your help!

Maureen

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Uxmal
Uxmal
214 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
22,025 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
10 replies to this topic
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
322 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

I sent a message directly to someone who had used the taxi service and they confirmed to me that it is indeed the price for round trip. I assumed it would be, but just wanted to verify.

Not sure how to delete this question from the forum.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

It's good to leave the question and answer here for others, no need to delete.

Tijuana, Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

2-3 hours is enough to see all the buildings/ruins at Uxmal.

Renting a car in Merida is other way to get to Uxmal, it will save you time and also costs around 600-800 MXN pesos for a compact car per day.

Edited: 24 August 2017, 16:18
Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
322 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

Thanks for your reply! We've been to Tulum before and know that it can get very hot at the ruins, even more so away from water I imagine. We are glad to hear that 2-3 hours would be good enough.

I am considering a car, but was thinking for the extra 400 pesos, it might be worth it to let someone else do all of the driving. We are taking an overnight flight the night before, so might be a little sleepy.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Los Angeles, CA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

After using the helpful information in this post to get a taxi from Merida to Uxmal today, I just wanted to add that it was an amazing experience. Our taxi driver was incredibly nice and helpful (only spoke Spanish, but slowly for my benefit!). He drove us there, in a new, clean, air conditioned car, waited for us for the 3 hours we were walking around Uxmal, and brought us back to Merida. It cost 1200 pesos, and we tipped him on top of that, for which he was extremely thankful.

Note, though, that Parque de Santa Ana, where the taxi stand is located, is on Calle 47 and Calle 60, not the corner that the OP stated.

The ruins themselves were incredible and not crowded. Definitely worth a half-day trip from Merida. I highly recommend paying for a guide. We paid 800 pesos. The guide spoke excellent English and was very informative. They don't even have maps at the ruins, so without a guide you're really missing out.

Also, they do not accept credit cards for the entrance fee, guides or restaurant, so be sure to bring pesos. The restaurant accepts dollars, not sure about the entrance. There is also one ATM on site.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Uxmal
Uxmal
214 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Parque de Santa Ana
Parque de Santa Ana
93 Reviews
Merida, Mexico
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
322 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

Glad to hear your day worked out! Good to know that you found a taxi at Parque Santa Anna to take you for the same price.

We ended up taking a taxi as well, but we got ours at the address listed In my original post- Calle57a + 60. (At Parque de la Madre).

Per my request, our driver let us have 2 hours at Uxmal and 1 hour at Haienda Ochil for lunch. It was a perfect

These taxis are a great option in my opinion..

Edited: 01 January 2018, 07:13
Mentioned in this post
Uxmal
Uxmal
214 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
181 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

We went to uxmal using Mayan heritage tours. There were 6 in our group. Our driver/guide spoke perfect English. We were picked up at our front door. We also went to kabah. Lunch was included. Cost 1200 pesos. To each their own.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
322 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

Asilk -

I am assuming that was 1200 pesos each, not for all 6 of you? We paid 600 pesos each and could go on our timeframe,. that's why I considered it a good deal. Not everyone has an entire day to devote to go to the ruins , so a carefree 3 hour visit for 600pesos per person to visit Uxmal worked for us. But, u are right, to each their own. Uxmal is so beautiful, it's great that there's multiple ways for travelers to get there!

Mentioned in this post
Uxmal
Uxmal
214 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
181 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

My apologies for not being clear. The 1200 pesos was the total for 2. It did not include drinks, admission fees or tips. The other travelers were unrelated. We were picked up in a maxi van style vehicle. Touring with 4 others was fine. It made for interesting lunch conversation. Out tour was all day and was worth it to us.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
322 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question

That sounds like a better alternative to the big bus tours for those who want a full day of exploring. Good info for future travelers!

In our situation, we were arriving by flight that day, so prebooking a tour was out of the question. I think if we had a full day and wanted to go to Kabah as well, Mayan heritiage would be a good option.

Mentioned in this post
Kabah
Kabah
216 Reviews
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Reply to: Taxi to Uxmal, "stupid" question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Merida