We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Merida

1 post
Save Topic
What to do in Merida

Hello,

We're a family of 6 with kids and we came to Merida from Cancun which we like it, but it seems there is nothing to do in Merida we're so upset btw we choose merida cuz it's cheaper for our flight as going back to San Diego. If there is places that we can go near merida? NOT HISTORICAL PLACES cuz we don't like them. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Btw we are sitting in Hayatt Hotel

7 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Merida

Is it difficult for me to imagine being bored in Merida but I can be easily bored in Cancun. Always so much going on in Merida. Of course there are many historical things since it is a historic Colonial City

. You might want to take a look at the Yucatan Today website or Yucatan Living. Both will have long lists of things to do. Interesting music and dancing tonight in the main square with lots of good food items for sale. Of course if you must have the beach you are in the wrong place.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Merida

There are a lot of cenotes near Merida.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Merida

Staying in the Hyatt and bored. Sounds about right.

Picking a destination because it's a cheap flight to get there or back (and not because you want to go there or have looked at what there is to do) is a recipe for disaster. Merida is indeed a historical place, but also has plenty of 'modern' stuff like malls and Starbucks and a ton of great restaurants in the northern part of the city. The beach is nearby. There are cenotes in the countryside to swim in.

As my parents used to say "Bored? Get out of the house and find something to do." So get out and explore - there must be something you will enjoy.

Sorry for being so blunt.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Merida

I rarely disagree with my colleague Bill Lawson, but he's dead wrong about picking cheap flights. That is the exactly the reason to go somewhere new. Two observations, though. If you find a place different from where you come from boring, either you didn't do the research in advance or maybe you would be bored wherever you went.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Merida

Perhaps you are right, EJ. It's an interesting way to explore. But exploration does not seem to be the case here, from what I can read.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Merida

Interesting comments by both AJ and Bill. To me both have merit. But I rarely go to a new place because the prices are low. I decide on a place that interests me and then begins shopping around for the best prices

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
34 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Merida

There are plenty of cenotes around Merida. Then you could also visit the cenotes - Cuzama, X-Batun for example. Tours to Sotuta de Peon are great for kids. Walking around Merida o Saturday evening, spending the Sunday morning on a bike on the streets of Merida are options as well to consider.

Reply to: What to do in Merida
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Merida