We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Merida

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Merida

I just returned from a trip to Merida, and I wanted to pass along the great experience I had with Diego and Manuel Ortiz Hernandez, brothers and co-owners of Unirent car rental. Prices were very reasonable (much better than the usual online car rental companies) and service was excellent. Here is their website: http://www.unirentcar.com/

28 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Car rental in Merida

Any other comments on Unirent?

They are significantly cheaper than Easyway and have responded quickly to my enquiry re. one-way fees (MX$1500), but other than this thread, they have little internet presence.

Camano Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Car rental in Merida

I also want to pass on some advice about car rentals in Merida. My wife and I needed a safe car, read: something with airbags and good engineering and after considerable research choose Unirent Car Rental. First off, they had a Volkswagon Clasico, similar to a Jetta, at a good price and second the owners, two brothers, Diego and Manuel were really great at answering my questions, by email in completely understandable English. These two could not have been nicer; met us at the airport, took us to their headquarters and got us on our way with a great car, a smile and no surprises.

Unfortunately about a month later, while leaving Merida at night, I drove over a speed bump at speed. The car seemed OK, but while I drove the remaining distance home, about an hour, the transmission fluid was draining out. Next morning, a small puddle on the garage floor and the car would't move!

Called Diego and explained the problem. He was out with a replacement car withing a few hours and took my broken one away, no question and amazingly he had my Clasico back the next day with a new transmission pan installed. This was service that was as good as anyone could expect. These two brothers are clearly growing a great legitimate business and I wish them well and will be doing business again and would highly recommend them to anyone visiting Merida.

Vancouver...
1 post
Save Reply
23. Re: Car rental in Merida

Has anyone been in touch with Joachin from La Curva within recent months? I have rented from him in the past but not responding as he usually does.

Los Angeles...
13 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Car rental in Merida

Similar situation... I emailed Joaquin 3 times over the course of 10 or so days. Finally got a response back with a quote. I replied back saying I wanted to reserve. Haven't heard back and it's now been two days.

With my upcoming trip now three weeks out, I may opt for Unirentcar so be safe.

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Car rental in Merida

We own a place in Costa Rica, and one cannot trust on-line prices at all there. I have seen many irate tourists at desks fuming. It seems that on line prices in many Latin American countries are viewed as a way to get people to show up at offices. At that point, having taken the shuttle, it is very inconvenient to go back. If possible, it is best to communicate with a human being by phone or email and to get a quote that way. Second best is to get good recommendations from sources you trust and then just show up, ready to deal with the various insurances they offer etc. Just be patient and work it through.

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
26. Re: Car rental in Merida

Does anyone have contact info for Unirent Car Rental Merida? Thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
385 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Car rental in Merida

Google yielded this....http://www.unirentcar.com

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
309 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Car rental in Merida

I have rented cars six times and never once had to deal with a deposit of that! All you have to do is get full coverage insurance, which anyone with half a brain would do in Mexico anyway, and there is no huge hit to your available credit.

Reply to: Car rental in Merida
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted