We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for Stay at OGX Please

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
43 posts
52 reviews
Tips for Stay at OGX Please

Hi,

We're trying out the Occ. Grand Xcaret next month. Recommendations please for the best a la carte srestuarants.

Also, what's the most convenient way to get from resort to Playa del Carmen?

Any other highlights or suggestions for staying there welcome.

Thanks

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

Easy to get to fifth ave--- $10 cab ride. You can rent a car at the resort also.

We have tried all of the a la cartes-- we prefer the Seafood because it's at the Beach Club... nice to hear the surf while you dine. My wife loves it, but I don't eat seafood- I ordered a steak and fries-- best steak I've had at the resort. I know that's strange-- just pointing it out for people who don't do seafood.

We usually just go to the buffet, the food is good, a different theme each night. Most of the time I don't want to "dress-up" for dinner, and we just want a quicker meal experience. In the a la cartes, men must wear long pants, shoes, and a collared shirt.

I could go on and on about the place--- we prefer building 20 because of it's central location to three pools and 2 bars (1 swim up) and the snack bar restaurant. The resort design pretty much has all the buildings close to a pool and within a short walk to the lobby and restaurants. (IMO-- I've see people complain about this and I know it's because they haven't figured out how to get places quickly. It feels huge at first)

Get your pass for the park the day before you go--- the lines are long in the morning and you'll just stroll right in.

Also, if you arrive before 6pm, there is a torch lighting "ceremony" in the lobby. Grab a seat on the floating "deck" and order a drink... you will hear the drums coming, and guys in full Mayan garb come into the lobby in a Mayan canoe with incense, drums, and torches to light the lobby torches. It is really a rally-cry for the evening show that is getting ready to start at the park, but it sets a great tone for your stay.

Feel free to pm me if you have other questions.

Ponoka, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

My niece is planning her wedding for November and is considering this hotel. My 84 year old mother will be making the trip with us and was wondering what villa you would suggest. Would building 20 be fairly central spot? I know there are rooms off the lobby but thought something close to a quiet pool and buffet would be nicer?

vancouver
Level Contributor
604 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

I have mobility problems and needed something very central. I stayed in building 18 and it was perfect. It was the closest to the lobby, without being in the buildings in the lobby(didn't like those)It was also close to the activity pool. ALso right in front of the building is where you can catch one of the shuttles, if you want to go to the beach. One thing that you should know is that there are no elevators in the buildings.

Ponoka, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

Thanks sunandstars, I would probably recommend first or second floor. Mom gets around pretty good but I think would tire easily with the heat and humidity. Building 18 sounds perfect!

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
43 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

Thanks Workn !

I'm sure I'll come up with a few questions before we leave on the 18th. Talk to you soon.

Skycare

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

WorkN2Travel, on our first trip we were able to get our tickets to the park the day before. This past December they wouldn't allow us to. We had to get it the day OF. I sure hope that they have changed that back to the old way. You were there last so I imagine you know.

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

We tried to get them the day we checked in-- we just couldn't decide which do to go. They would have given them to us, they just emphasized to us that having them early would not let us go in one any other day. (Which we knew)

They had a guard writing down room numbers as you left the shops on the way to the park. Another guard inspected your wrist band a little before the main hut where they scan the wristband. Must have been some issues with people sneaking in or using old wrist bands in the recent past. The guard even asked where everyone else was when I came back without the others.

Also, if the line is really long at the main tour office-- there is a guest services desk that can issue them too-- it's straight across from the main front desk--- a very large L-shaped desk. Just ask someone for guest services.

Things are always changing-- for example, I was sure the snack bar would be a buffet in high season--- nope-- not this year--- a la carte from a menu--- pizzas are good- but take while to cook. I love those hot dogs and waffle fries. I can't help it-- I'm not that sophisticated when it come to lunch food if we are at the resort :)

Foodies everywhere are rolling there eyes.

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

Also, there are elavators in the lobby building-- I thought there was more than two actually- one on each side. I know for sure that there is one on the right side (rode it 2wks ago). That would make the two buildings off the lobby easiest for folks with such issues.

I would prefer building 18 as mentioned before if you want another option, but there IS at least one elevator in the main building. As a matter of fact--- there is another one behind the disco that would help getting to the restraunts and and such.. I think it only goes to the second floor of the lobby then you have to walk around to the other elevator to get to top lobby floor. There is access for everyone if you look around a little and ask.

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

sorry for all of the typos-- I need to go to bed---

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: Tips for Stay at OGX Please

Those darn hot dogs and waffle fries are addicting. We stopped in more than once for them.