We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

Just back from 14 days down in the Mayan Riviera. We broke up our stay between Excellence Playa Mujeres, Secrets Maroma Beach, and the RIU Palace MR. Also did Rio Secreto, Isla Mujeres, Puerto Morelos snorkeling, and Playa Del Carmen.

Many pictures of all the Resorts can be found here.

http://www.surfnorthwest.com/vacation2010.htm

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

It would be great if you could write a comparison of the resorts.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

RIU is great value if you don't mind kids, the food quality and service suprised me. Secrets and Excellence Playa Mujeres are both fantastic in every way but I give the edge to Secrets because of the beach. EPM has some of the best rooms and resort layout I have seen. Also Secrets has a edge in service,

We were happy with all three.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

Wow, great pics! Last week we booked a week at Secrets in September (swim up suite). I see you too had a swim-up; may I ask which building were you in? How was the sun during the day?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

Surfnorthwest,

These are great picture. I think that SMB will be are next resort. We are leaving for the Royal PDC in 14 days with our 2 young adults. Thanks again for sharing those memories.

Alex

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

We were in room 2416 which is building 24. No sun there in the heat of the afternoon but by around 4-5pm the sun was again shining there. Perfect really, the swim out room here at Secrets are worth it for sure because they are true swim out rooms. Build 24 swim outs are very private because of the lush landscaping around it, perfect location as it is close to everything.

Cannot say enough about Secrets everything from the workers ended in "It's my pleasure".

We even had two lobster tails and scampi brought to us while lounging at the pool.... just 5 star service for sure.

Edited: 17 July 2010, 11:14
Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

Another tip if you book Secrets. The beach there is home to many Angel fish and if you take some watermelon or bread out into the water and start breaking very small pieces off they will come around you everywhere and eat right out of your hand. Really cool.

surfnorthwest.com/secrets/…image129.htm

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

Surfnorthwest,

One question, why try 3 resorts? Did you find it complicated to move 3 times? We almost did that last in Feb. We wanted to try VIM and Secrets Capri, one week each but my husband was afraid to loose time on the beach. I liked VIM but prefer the Royal in Cancun. We are trying The Royal in PDC in 2 weeks. Can't wait. I really enjoyed looking at your pictures.

Alex

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

We get bored after about four days at the same place, to many nice resorts to visit. As far as it being complicated it isn't at all. I simply arrange all the transportation through Cancun Valet and at noon check out it is usally less than a hour before we check into another place. So I guess you can loose 2 hours max between check-in and transporatation but I think it is well worth it.

We have been coming down to the area since 2001 and have visited 26 different resorts now in both Cancun and the Mayan Riviera. So to us it is worth it; besides you need to take a little break from all the booze and sun every few days for a few hours anyways. :)

Matawan, New Jersey
Level Contributor
331 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

So, out of the 26 would you please list your top 3 for couples, and top 3 for families? :)

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from SMB, EPM and RIU Palace,photos

Based upon Resorts we visited by ourselves and with teenagers.

Couples IMO

1. Secrets Maroma Beach

2. The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun

3. Royal Hideaway

Family's IMO

1. Iberostar Lindo

2. Barcelo Palace

3. Grand Palladium