We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

NJ
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

Both have excellent reviews on TA. EPM runs around US$ 150 - 200 cheaper p/p for 8 days. Is SMB that much better and worth of paying extra. Your advice and comments are greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks

Virginia
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

I dont think you can go wrong with either one of those resorts.

Are you a beach person? the beach at SMB is nicer than that at EPM. So I would say if you are a huge beach person and that is the most important thing to you, then you should go with SMB.

NJ
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

Thanks, uvahoo. Does it mean that the beach at EPM is real bad?

Virginia
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

no, I am not saying it is really bad.... I am just saying that it is hard to beat SMB's beach.

ETA: I am actually a HUGE Excellence fan. I have not been to EPM but I have done a lot of research on it and have wanted to go for a while. I have been to ERC 3 times (we got married there too)

Edited: 27 July 2011, 09:23
Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

If the total price is only $200 more for Secrets then yes book that. EPM is also a very nice place but the beach alone at SMB is going to be worth the extra $200.

Here is a photo album that has both resorts, you can compare the beaches and everything else.

http://www.surfnorthwest.com/vacation2010.htm

Edited: 27 July 2011, 09:25
NJ
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

Unfortunately it's $200 per person. It's $400 for 2 of us.

Thanks for your advice.

Virginia
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

@surfnorthwest- are you a travel agent? Or are you just extremely lucky and get to visit all those resorts on your own?

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

Apart from the beach (which at SMB is spectacular and EPM is merely good), we thought almost everything else at EPM was better: rooms, grounds, pools, restaurants, etc its a much prettier resort. SMB can get away with charging the premium because of it's reputation as being on one of the world's 10 best beaches.

Food, Service and drinks all very good to excellent at both.

You really can't go wrong with either.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 09:56
lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
843 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

We split our trip between those 2 resorts and had a blast. True about the beach at EPM. We felt SMB also had a slight edge with the staff, but that is simply a personal opinion.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,329 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

We have been to both - check out my reviews which have links to photo albums

I fully agree that SMB has the best beach but it was not quite as good as I was expecting based on all the rave comments I had read. Overall we prefer the style and layout of EPM

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
594 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Playa Mujeres

For me, SMB is charging the similar to Grand Velas- I don't think SMB can really measure up to Grand Velas! If I ever can afford it, that is my "to go" place!

If your main reason for going is the beach, choose SMB. If it doesn't matter to you (EPM can have seagrass/darker water-not Caribbean blue) choose EPM.

Both resorts get good reviews so probably can't go wrong at either one. Pics of SMB combined with reports of 4 person palapa as well as upcharges for wine and sunbeds has turned me off due to the price! Again, I have only read many posts-not been there myself!

But people who compare the 2 usually give the nod to EPM for food and service, but if it is the beach you are looking for- there is no comparison!