We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

It seems as though this section is being offered as an adults only section of the Grand Sunset Princess. We stayed in the regular platinum at the GSP before. Just wondering if anybody can confirm if the Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites are close to the lobby? Or has the old platinum building at the GSP now been converted to the Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites for adults only???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

These suites are located closer to the lobby but are really on the Riviera side they are NOT a section of the Sunset... for some reason, "Sunwing/signature vacations" (which I think is where you are looking, right?) is offering it as one of the suite options... that is kind of misleading.

If you really want the Sunset side, close to the beach (original platinum section) make sure you select Platinum Suite or Platinum suite Oceanview....

By the way, they just made them Adults only.... as of last week or maybe 2 weeks ago, they were not adults only....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

Thanks Mexico M, this trip we plan on traveling with some family and friends and told them about the platinum section. Want to make sure they enjoy the trip as much as we did when we stayed at the GSP platinum and want to ensure we are in the platinum building closest to the beach.

Edited: 15 October 2011, 12:48
Kitchener, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

When I first booked this trip (leaving on Dec 4, 2011), I selected the Platimun section of the Sunset Princess. But for some reason, when I rec'd my confirmation it actually said "Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites". Do you know what are the differences (pros and cons) of the Grand Yucatan Princess and Grand Sunset Princess for the Platinum Section. Thanks for all your help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

If they are Pros or Cons really depends on what you're looking for :), but as far as I know based on my research, these are some of the main differences:

The Yucatan suites are closest to the lobby, furthest from the beach and are located on the Riviera side of the resort.

The Yucatan suites are adults only

The Yucatan suites have swim up options

The Yucatan suites DON'T have a jacuzzi on the balcony.

The Yucatan suites don't have a Private pool right by the suites... you have to actually go to the Platinum sections by the beach to use the private pool.

Having said that, I have not been there since these Yucatan suites were setup, and like I said, this is just information I gathered while doing my own research for booking.

How did you book? I am guessing it was Sunwing/signature if it was a pre-packaged vacation as they are really the only tour operator offering that resort from Canada?

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

I'm in the same "boat" perse.

I booked through itravel2000.com. I went through purchasing a package from the "Grand Sunset Princess". I didn't really pay much attention but the "hotel details link" for the Yucatan room actually never mentions Grand Sunset Princess, rather it's called the "Grand Yucatan Princess". I didn't even realize the switcharoo until I started reading up tripadvisor and re-checked my invoice and hotel documentation. Sure enough, my online vouchers all say "Grand Yucatan Princess" with no mention of sunset whatsoever.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed, but that disappointment is tempered by the fact that:

1. I saved close to 400 a person compared to a platinum suite

2. I'm not really losing much. What am we going to do, use both jacuzzi's at the same time?

I'm not going to stress out over this... though I do feel slighted about the clever switcharoo. I dont' think Itravel2000 is the culprit here... their reservation system is pulled from Sunwing/Signature (the tour company), so I think they're to blame.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

I agree.

I don't think this is something worth stressing over, but the "switcharoo" is kind of disappointing.

I am surprised at how much you saved though... I see the prices being pretty much the same for Yucatan Platinum @ Riviera and Platinum at sunset... main differences are flight times which may affect the price by a few bucks.. but never 400! when are you travelling?

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

Sorry, that should have read "400 for two people"

We paid $1197 for the "Yucatan Platinum" for 7 days, flying Sunwing

The "Platinum Suite" was at the that time ~1400 flying on Sunwing

Flying on WestJet was $1500, and we'd lose a day with a layover in Toronto.

Kitchener, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

I booked this vacation package through SellOff back in September. I particular selected the GSP Platinum Section when I booked. Shortly after, I rec'd my invoice (didn't pay much attention at the time, was happy for the fact that I am going south in December) until Selloff sent me my e-tickets; this is when I started to look into it. I did call the rep at Selloff but they don't seem to have a clue. I asked the rep to look into it. She called back (after talking to the tour operator) to say that I am going to the same resort but she doesn't know why it is in a different name. She also confirmed that it is considered a Platinum Section and it is for adults only.

I wonder if they have build another resort right beside the Rivera and Sunset. I googled Yucatan Princess yesterday and sure enough there are a few sites to look into, particular from Sunwings, it is now showed as stay in one and play in 3. Also, on the GSP web site, they now have Yucatan Platinum Suites listed as part of their room catagories (seems to cost more a little more than the old Platinum Section of GSP).

Question for Mexico M, where is the Platinum Lounge? Was it close to the lobby or the beach? Looking at the resort map, most of main activities (restauarants, disco and theatre) are located near the lobby, is this correct?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

That is correct.. restaurants, spa, gym, shows, are located near the main lobby.

The Platinum sections are located near the beach (on both Riviera and Sunset side) and each of these sections have their own lobby/lounge.

I think that they have setup an additional Platinum lounge for the Yucatan section closer to these suites, but I can not confirm that... perhaps someone that has been there can? In any case, the private pools are still only those on the original Platinums (by the beach)

As far as I understand the Yucatan section has just been in place for a few months. I dont see why they'd call it a "third" resort. These suites were originaly just an new building on the riviera side (Junior Suites). I actually stayed in one of these suites in 2009 and they were brand new (I had stayed towards the middle section of the resort in 2010, so I noticed the difference).

They started using them as Platinum suites after the terrible accident in 2010 in the Platinum Riviera section (by the beach).

It would look to me like they have been a success acting as Platinum suites so they just decided to keep them as a privileged section. They have already re-opened the original Riviera Platinum section so if this was a temporary arrangements they wouldn't be available anymore....

I personally wanted to be closer to the beach, have a private pool closer to the room, plus I do care for the extra jacuzzi on the balcony (as a family of 4 we sure could take advantage of this!!), so I made sure that my reservation was Platinum Suite (not Yucatan)... of course I realized the Yucatan "switcharoo"(sorry, I am just loving this word :) ) early enough to make sure I was not placed there (again, nothing wrong with these suites, just not what I was looking for)

But all in all, these are also great suites! You will have all the Platinum privileges, just not: extra jacuzzi in balcony, private pool right outside your section, and not close to the beach.

If these things don't matter much to you, you have absolutely nothing to worry about!!

If they do, perhaps you could ask at check-in to be moved to one of the Platinum sections (by the beach)... after all, you already paid for platinum privileges so if there is availablity I am sure they'll try to accomodate you.

I will be there Dec 22 to 29, and will try to get more information.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 11:22
Kitchener, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Yucatan Princess Platinum Suites....

Thank you very much for all your help Mexico M. I think I am going to try to switch from this end first and see what Selloff is going to do about it. If not, I will definitely try when I check in. I will be there from Dec 4 to 11 and will definitely share the info with everyone who is interested in knowing more about it.