We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

justbaby27
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

hi! soo after many back and forths my hubby and i finally decided to splurge on the royal( going last week in may) ..it was $3000 for 6 nigths for the 2 of us ..now i know to some of you that may not be a lot..but it is to us..we want to make sure this was worth every penny and that we are trully going to feel like royalty...to all who know or have been..please give us the good and the bad of this place. i will say the most important thing to us is good food followed by good service and confy rooms. thanks!!!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

Get ready for lots of different opinions. From our perspective, it is absolutely the nicest AI resort we have ever been to. We have been to several different resorts in Mexico and the RPDC is head and shoulders above all others.We are going back in May because we enjoyed it so much.

You will love it!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

You will not be disappointed here! You will be completely spoiled from the minute you check in. You will be given a cool towel and a drink upon check in, then the bellman will deliver your bags and explain everyone in the room. You will even be given a choice of pillows and asked what time you'd like your room cleaned every day. You will have turn down service with delicious chocolates left on your bedside. You will never go without a drink at the pool or beach. The beachtler will come around with his cart full of sun sprays and reading material offering to clean your glasses, spritz you down with cool water, and feed you frozen grapes. The 24 hr lounge is really nice to grab something quickly. You will love the food here with so many options.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 11:31
Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
626 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

I am one of the Royal Lovers on here.

We just booked our 3rd visit and there are lots of others out there that go every year, twice a year.

My husband & I used to stay at the Gran Porto (sister resort across the street) and would stare over in wonder and awe.

It looked gorgeous and we really wanted to stay there, it was more expensive but one year I said to hell with it and booked it instead.

We are beyond impressed with everything. And in OUR OWN OPINIONS it is worth it. The fact that there are no kids running around makes it even better. Now some things to consider and remember......

Things happen at a lot slower pace down there. BE POLITE, even if you are not happy with something! How would you react if you got yelled at for something? Defensive maybe? The people that work in the resorts are no different. I would see people screaming about AC not working in their room, wow, take a pill and relax. Explain the problem and be polite about it. There is a bit of a language barrier so slow down when trying to explain something.

We only had 2 minor problems with our room, the toilet would not flush when we pressed the button, they were up within 15 min and fixed it and then the shower was very slow to drain, again they were quick to respond and that however took the majority of the late afternoon to fix, but they did so. My husband was even sleeping in the bedroom while they worked and never woke up once.

There is one thing I (me personally) did not like and that was the smell on the beach. That is not to say we did not go out in the ocean and have fun, there was (as everyone comments) the sulphery smell and the water was bubbling up in one spot near the shore and the smell was awful there, which kind of creeped us out, but again not enough to stop us from going in.

Everybody was so polite and said hello everytime we passed by.

I do not think you would regret going there, we are so excited about our return trip, it just sucks that we have to wait till October :(

Enjoy yourself!!!

Darla

ps..... right in Playa so you can wander through town in the evening

Edited: 27 February 2012, 11:36
justbaby27
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

awesome!!! thanks u guys!! im getting excited now!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

I'm in the "meh" camp as far as RPDC goes. The food and service definitely are excellent. The location downtown is pretty awesome. Adult-only is a major upside, IMO! The rooms are very nice. Those are the pluses.

What killed any chances of returning to RPDC for me was the beach and the pool. A lot of people disagree, but I think the beach is TERRIBLE (small, crowded, dark water, graffitied walls, etc.) and the pool is always very crowded and loud. Since my primary goal for a beach vacation is not to socialize but rather to relax and forget my cares, I found the RPDC a little too loud and busy for my tastes. I never felt like I could get away from the crowd. I've stayed at larger resorts in PDC that have felt infinitely more peaceful. That being said, if you want more of "party" atmosphere, the RPDC would be right up your alley. (Disclaimer: I'm not old! I just turned 32 and stayed at RPDC when I was 29. I've done my share of club-hopping. I just don't look for that when vacationing.)

The bottom line is that RPDC just wasn't quite my style but it is still a truly excellent resort and I still did have a wonderful time. So don't worry! You haven't wasted your money!

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

Put me in the "meh" camp as well. May is big wedding season. We went in May last year and were very overlooked - invisible. The rooms were great.

Food was good but we have had several A/Is with good food and the beach is subjective. Pools are very nice but it is hard to get a chair. Our drinks were incredibly watered down, others say theirs were not and we tip generously. The beach bartender and lobby bartender were great.

Now, back to those big wedding parties. Lots of rowdy wedding guests. Young drunks and vomit we had to step over were not our ideas of a classy getaway at high prices. Every dinner we were shoved to a corner table while wedding parties got all the service. Something to consider for a May stay. We only spent 4 days there and then checked in across the street. We always split our stays between two or even three different resorts. After awhile it's all rinse/lather/repeat so we like to try different resorts.

Normally I say once you pay, don't go looking for reviews. But you did ask.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

Lazygal - I totally agree re: the weddings and forgot to mention it in my post! It was May when I was there a couple years ago and the place was overrun with rowdy wedding parties. In fact, that's probably the main reason I perceived the resort as overcrowded and noisy. The resort absolutely, positively caters to destination weddings, and you do get the sense that catering to those groups is their primary focus during high wedding season.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

We are beach people, and we agree with lazygal that the beach is pretty much terrible....and it was the smell that got us....BUT, it was still great service, and wonderful food, and just the nicest AI we have stayed at in our 14 trips to Playa/Cancun/Tulum.

We are staying at a boutique hotel in May, as we like to change it up, but we will go back again soon.

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
626 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

I never thought about weddings when I replied.

There were lots the last 2 years (we go in October). The 1st timewe were there we were in the far wing that overlooks the wedding gazeebo. The vast majority that I had the privilage to watch were amazing and not overly rowdy (it is after all their wedding), there was 1 or 2 that I rolled my eyes after awhile at the noise. But it was never obnoxious. Last year we stayed in the new wing so could not see the weddings at all. Only noticed one party in the main courtyard facing the lobby but that was fine because we were headed back to our room for the evening so didn't have to listen to it.

Enjoy your trip.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: royal playa del carmen....is it really worth it?

I am in the Royal ALL DAY LONG club. You will not regret it we were there in 08 and are finally getting back there this April...cant wait! Had an awesome experience there-the food, location, drinks, people, cant be beat. We are pool people and like a little more fun, music and games at the pool, but if you arent that type of person they also have a quiet pool where you can go to where people who want to read and relax, can. I was there in February of 08 and there was a wedding on the beach but I thought the beach was nice...big and gorgeous, of course it couldve changed since i've been but I'm a pool gal anyway so it doesnt matter to me. And, for 3000, you got a deal. I booked last MAY and the cheapest i found was 3500...almost a year prior! So be excited, you wont be disapointed!