We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand vs. Secrets Maroma vs. Royal Hideaway

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand vs. Secrets Maroma vs. Royal Hideaway

My husband and I are seriously considering the Iberostar Grand for our next trip. We have travelled to RH and SMB before and loved what they had to offer. I know nothing tops SMB's beach but how does Iberostar Grand compare to these two others?

We are big on excellent food, a beautiful resort, a beautiful beach that is not overly crowded. I really want to try someplace new, so if there are other resorts we should be considering that are of similar quality, I am all ears. :-)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand vs. Secrets Maroma vs. Royal Hideaway

Spotsmom has stayed at all three and written very detailed reviews comparing the resorts. Have a look at her reviews as they are packed with info.

We did not find the beach crowded at all at The Grand. The water at The Grand is not calm as it is as SMB if that matters. I am not a strong swimmer so had to stick to the pools for swimming but the beach itself is really pretty. And the pools are as well.

We found the food quite average at The Grand, but food is subjective and we have not stayed at RH to be able to compare. The Grand does require advance dinner reservations if that matters.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 16:55
Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand vs. Secrets Maroma vs. Royal Hideaway

Hi!

I have indeed been to all three resorts.

The Grand is actually my favorite beach over both RH and SMB. The beach is very wide, with an abundance of palapas all with two chairs per palapa. The spacing is nice and private. The water is beautiful although it is rougher as Caviargal says.

I think the Grand is the winner in all categories except for food - I liked the food better at RH, and didn't like the food really at SMB. The Grand had the best selection of included wines by far, and its steak house is excellent.

The Grand does luxury well - bottles of wine of champagne poolside, or on the beach, or in your room. Really well done.

As far as resort beauty, the Grand is much prettier and more ornate than SMB. RH is very pretty in a hacienda style but it is showing its age.

I really think you cannot go wrong with the Grand!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand vs. Secrets Maroma vs. Royal Hideaway

I too have my thoughts on all three rsorts, been to the SEcrets maroma, tempted by the royal hideaway, buttt i am swim at the beach person.. Augh!!! Is the Iberostar so ig you need shuttle inside the resort?

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand vs. Secrets Maroma vs. Royal Hideaway

Out of the three I've only stayed at the Grand, but I've walked down to Maroma beach many times.

As far as water color and clarity, the Grand and SMB are going to be identical. As far as calm seas, SMB is going to be more calm. As far as being a spacious beach? IB Grand, hands down.

5. Re: Iberostar Grand vs. Secrets Maroma vs. Royal Hideaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:40