We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best urgent care and hospital?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
416 reviews
Save Topic
Best urgent care and hospital?

Where is the best urgent care and hospital in the Playa Del Carmen area? Staying at Playa Palms. Thanking you in advance.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,832 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

The best urgent care would be Dr Diaz on 1st Ave and 20 Calle, about a short 5 block walk. It would be another 5 blocks to the Playa International Clinic located at 10th avenue near 28 calle. It's also where you will find the hyperbaric chamber.

http://intheroo.com/view/camara-hiperbatica

For real serious stuff the Hospiten which is affiliated with the hospital in Cancun, is where tourists go for really serious stuff like a heart attack. It's located in Playacar near hyw 307 and you would need a taxi.

www.hospiten.com

Edited: 31 December 2012, 14:37
Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

I was directed to playa intl clinic when i blew my knee out. I originally thought hospiten would be the place.

But thats a good breakdown of where to go depending on your predicament. Thanks for posting

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

Our first call when we need any medical attention, advice or even handholding is Dr. Eduardo Rovirosa. He has been our hotel and family doctor since just after we moved here over 7 years ago. We have his cell number on speed dial on all of our phones. He has been an amazing resource for us and for our guests. His cell phone number is 984 130 4321. He has also just moved into his own new clinic on Calle 6 between Avenues 20 & 25 (we think-we'll have to check for sure the Avenues). It also has a hyperbaric chamber, as well, since one of his specialties is dive medicine. He makes house/hotel calls and his prices are very reasonable. He also speaks perfect English and has what we call a great "bedside manner."

We have also used Hospiten both in Playa and in Cancun for medical issues and have been very happy with them. Many people complain they are very expensive and by Mexican standards, they probably are. However by US standards, we believe they are quite reasonable. Hospiten also offers a discounted rates to locals, which we appreciate. Their facility is clean and modern and almost all of their doctors and staff speak English.

We wouldn't hesitate recommending either Dr. Rovirosa or Hospiten. If you want more info about either of them feel free to let us know.

In any event, lets hope this is all for nothing, and you have no need for medical services when you're in Playa. :)

Tony & Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel & Bar

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

Wow! Great information. Thank you very much!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

We're in Canada and have travel insurance that has 24/7 1-800 care and my husband needed care, but I was able to call while waiting for the cab. They directied us to the Hospiten that Old Traveller3 spoke of and I can't say enough of the care we got. Better than any care we have had in Canada and because I called first (since I wasn't the one in need and had the time) our bill was paid before we even left. Can't stress enough the importance of medical travel insurance that pays up front and is unlimited with no deductible and can't say enough the amazing treatment by their staff. Wish we had that kind of care here:)

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
9,830 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

Jill,

What is the name of that travel insurance? Is it by internet? Can we get in in the states- for when we go to PDC in March?

Thanks,

Deana

bc canada
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

Hi Maried11

I would like to know the name of the insurance company you deal with. We are taking our 2 granddaughters to Playa for a week and Cancun for a week and would like to have all the proper insurance we all need. Thanks Cheers from BC

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

I, too, am interested in the name of the insurance company. I use insuremytrip.com and compare several companies. It's always good to know of a company that someone has used and had good results.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

Same here..

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,870 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best urgent care and hospital?

In Canada, insurance companies will likely be different carriers than the US

If you travel more than 30 days a year and longer than 2 weeks at a time, different policies

We used a Canadian firm similar to insuremytrip called

kanetix.ca to find our yearly medical insurance