We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

We would love to buy some freshly caught fish while we are there to grill on our condo bbq. Do fishermen sell their catches anywhere on the beach? If so, where and when could we find them?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

Not in my experience , In Playa most of the fishermen are interested in taking tourists fishing not in fishing themselves. There are several good fish markets in town I like Oceano on 35th Ave and Calle 3.

What area is your condo?

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,815 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

You have to walk way up north past La Paradisus. You will find Oscar who uses nets to catch primarily red snapper in the cove. He will sell you fresh fish. I'd recommend you check out El Pirata on 40 Calle 1 block west of 5th Avenue. El Pirata is a local restaurant and fishmonger, fresh fish.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

Oceano on 35th Ave and Calle 3. should say...Oceano on 35th Ave and Calle 34.

El Pirata is great as well, Oceano will fry your fish as well to take home until 4pm.

Might have to take my small cooler and find Oscar!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

We are staying at Luna Encantada. How far would Oscar be from us? What time would he be there with his fish? We really would love fresh from the sea fish, if we could get it, and supporting a local fisherman would also be something we would love to do.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

La Paradisus would be a 30-40 minute walk north of playa on the beach.

or about 80-100peso via taxi each way

Edited: 09 October 2013, 21:12
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

Whoa, I guess that is too far for us to walk, but we could drive somewhere close to find him, right? If we drove, would we be able to have access to the beach somewhere near him?

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,815 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

Drive north on 10th Avenue and take a right on 112 Calle. I've never driven that way, I've always walked via the beach. It would take about 40 minutes from Luna Encantada, but there are a lot of distractions along the way. 112 Calle, or maybe it's the street just north of it off 1st Avenue that takes you out to a little park that the locals use. I've never seen any Gringos at that little park. You will see Oscar out on the limestone ledge casting or watching his huge fishing net. He speaks limited English. It's mostly red snapper in that bay, but he says he does catch the rare grouper, always highly prized. Check out the interactive map.

http://intheroo.com/map

Now you could walk 2 blocks south along the beach to La Tarraya, corner of 2 Calle, and see if Alberto will sell you some fish. They head out early in the AM and catch fish for their restaurant. The beach is really beautiful here and they have some lovely palm trees to sit under and get out of the sun. La Tarraya is popular with both locals and tourists, oldest restaurant in Playa. I prefer to order my fish off the menu so I don't know if they wil act as a fishmonger.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 10:31
8. Re: Purchasing fresh fish from fishermen on beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 01:19