We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabanas Tulum

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aston, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
923 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cabanas Tulum

To those who have stayed there. What has been your experience. I'm looking for oceanview in Oct. I guess we would need a shuttle from Cancun Airport. What time would you have to leave for the airport to go home with a 1PM flight? Is there anywhere near that we could buy a cooler and ice? Is there any problem with mosquitoes? I'm looking for a quiet vacation with a great beach. I'd like to be able to have a cooler and ice since there are no mini fridges to keep cold drinks and snacks. Are there other price friendly restaurants within walking distance. I understand it is the hotel zone. I think this is the area Yucatreks took us on one of our tours for a few hours to swim with lunch on the beach. Our host was Lilly. The beach was so beautiful that we wanted to go there for more than a few hours.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabanas Tulum

Stayed there recently. We had a 1pm flight out and the transfer company picked us up at about 8:30. That was overkill (could skip check-in line), but better safe than sorry.

You can definitely buy a cooler and ice in town but that's a taxi ride away if you don't have a car, which would make the ice part problematic. There was a little convenience store up the beach road a ways that was an easy bike ride away (CT has free bikes for use) but quite a lengthy walk. You could probably ride there for daily ice needs.

With a car, the ice/cooler thing is a breeze. Also, keep in mind that CT is 2x1 on drinks between 12pm and 6pm.

If you consider the restaurant at CT price-friendly, then yes there are tons of others nearby (mostly better too). There are a couple other places that are a little less expensive.

I'm not sure I saw a single mosquito in December, but I think they are seasonal to some degree.

I really, really liked Cabanas Tulum and would go back in a heartbeat.

Aston, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabanas Tulum

Chicago, thanks for your reply. I just got a response from CT about availability and the price was not the same as the website. I may be rethinking our plan. By the time I book the transfers and factor meals and drinks I may have to go to another option. We really liked the beach and the solitude of that area but we probably will not do it this year.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabanas Tulum

There are other options along the same beach. What is your budget?

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabanas Tulum

Also, double check what room they are referering to. There are newer rooms that are bigger and a lot more $$. We have stayed in the older beach front rooms a couple of times and loved them. Around $120 per night (depending on time of year) We bought a cooler and Ice at the Supermarket and then every couple of days they would give me a full bucket to replenish.

Aston, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabanas Tulum

$120 per night is fine but they were showing $220, etc. I imagine that's the newer "Adult" area. I notice that you cant use the pool unless you rent the newer category rooms.

SF
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabanas Tulum

If you liked the beach of Tulum, then you will likely not need a pool. You could go with the not brand new rooms and still have an amazing time swimming in the ocean, laying in a hammock, walking along the beach, etc...

Also look into Cabanas La Luna, Nueva Vida de Ramiro, and Tita Tulum for something your price range. Once you go to Tulum, you never go back.

Aston, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabanas Tulum

I'll look at those listed. Thanks.

We went to the Royal Playa del Carmen for the last two years and were pampered and the food was good. When we went to Tulum to see the ruins and were taken to someones home on the beach for swimming and lunch we knew we wanted something very simple with a view of the ocean and lazy days. We can purchase a cooler and make ice runs, that way we can sit on the beach on our patio at night and have whatever. I see the drinks are 2-1 up to 6PM but we dont like to lay in the sun and drink so we wait for happy hour to begin.

8. Re: Cabanas Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 05:20