We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum in July? And if so, which hotel?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum in July? And if so, which hotel?

I am looking for a vacation where I do not much more than eat, sleep and read and enjoy the ocean views. Somehow in my investigation for a suitable place just about anywhere on the planet I came across Tulum. I like the idea of a quiet, quaint place with not much to do. But after I was almost ready to book it, I realized it's hurricane season. How bad can the weather get in early July? I am guessing while it may be low season it doesn't deter too many people because I've actually had some trouble finding availability. If I don't have expectations to do much, do you think the weather will be ok?

And if I go, would you recommend Encantada or Villa Estrellas? My first choice Ahau was booked solid.

Thanks!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum in July? And if so, which hotel?

July is very early for hurricane season, though I know technically it fits the timeframe. I feel they've been hitting later and later, but it's still a comparatively rare occurrence.

I would just be sure to buy travel insurance, look around at the various options, or hopefully somone here will post a good one.

I love both Encantada and Villa Las Estrellas (and Ahau). Depends on which part of the beach you want and which style you like better. Encantada is farther south, but not super far, not so far you wouldn't be able to easily walk places. Do you have a map of the beach stretch? There's a decent one at alltulumhotels.com, pretty up to date; that should give you a fair idea of proximities. VLE is much more centrally located, but that also means more people around (relatively speaking). Both have great restaurants and comfortable beds, nice staff and good drinks. VLE is very close to Ahau if you want to be at Ahau for any reason. Encantada is closer to Om and La Zebra.

Coin toss for me, actually. Which specific rooms at each are available for your trip?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,902 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum in July? And if so, which hotel?

We always travel in the summer months. Hurricane season really isn't bad; the water is usually calmer believe it or not. I like it. We have been traveling to the area since 2003 and have only experienced one hurricane last year. I always have a plan and we used it - easy and a fun adventure. I would not hesitate to visit in the summer.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum in July? And if so, which hotel?

Thanks for the information and directing me to the map! My plan is to arrive on June 29th, staying until July 4th. I am going there just to relax and enjoy the scenery and the food which I can still do in the rain, although maybe not in a hurricane! As far as rooms, there is #6 upstairs at Villa las estrellas or an oceanview or garden view at Encantada. Prices are all pretty similar so that's not a factor. I guess I just need to pick one and go with it!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum in July? And if so, which hotel?

#6 at VLE is the best room in the house as I recall. Upstairs, north corner of the building, best breeze, best view. I love that room. Encantada is also lovely, and their ocean view rooms are great, but I thnk I'd take the VLE #6 for sure. Love that room.

5. Re: Tulum in July? And if so, which hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 01:16