We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation with my dogs

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vacation with my dogs

Hello! My husband and I are plannning a trip to Avon and will bring our dogs with us. We chose Avon because we want to do hiking with the dogs. We are unsure about when will be the best time to go (debating between June or September) for best weather: cooler/less chance of rain. I have heard this area and the trails are very dog-friendly. Please help. Ideas of your favorite trails will also be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
45 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation with my dogs

When you say dog friendly area, do you mean the entire state of Colorado? No idea where or why you would have heard that Avon is the place to go with dogs, but that wouldn’t be my choice of destination with or without a dog.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation with my dogs

Please define how you see "dog friendly/" On a leash, by your side and under your voice command or running wild through the forest? You may find yourself sharing the trail with runners, with folks on horseback, others with dogs or folks who don't want to interact with dogs. A good article, imho, is this one - https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017…

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,691 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation with my dogs

I agree, Avon wouldn't be my first choice - there are many options. Overall Colorado is pretty "dog-friendly". Bring Fido is an excellent site for info on traveling with your dogs: https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,691 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation with my dogs

Forgot to add - I'd go in September. Hiking trails will be clear of snow and mud. Ticks will be gone. Temperatures are typically great for hiking. In the mountains in mid September the aspen will be starting to turn so you'll see some fall foliage.

Edited: 03 March 2018, 11:48
Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation with my dogs

I live in Avon and find it a strange destination too. Yes it's dog friendly but so just about every mountain town in Colorado. Avon is at the base of Beaver Creek and just a few minutes from Vail, plenty of hiking in those areas but Avon its self is pretty flat. If you're looking at it as a base camp for day hikes it's fine.

September would be my vote too. Vail and BC will have Oktober Fest celebrations going on, temps will be nice. Do pay attention to leash laws, there is a lot of wildlife in the forrest and the urge to chase a deer is overwhelming for many dogs, bears and mountain lions are there too as well as people, bikes and other dogs. Most restaurants with outdoor patios are dog friendly, keep your dogs hydrated as well as yourself, altitude and lack of humidity can take their toll.

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation with my dogs

I just wonder if the OP found that recommendation in a guide book. Or is this just another case of someone hearing anecdotal information from someone about the one place in the state they went? (e.g. “We went to Avon and it’s very dog friendly.”)

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation with my dogs

In June there will be deer having fawns in the forests so I'm never a fan of dogs of leash - as dogmama mentioned dogs have an urge to chase deer. There are some trails in Garfield county that are closed seasonally to hiking due to elk calving.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation with my dogs

Thank you! This information is very helpful. One of my friends used to live there and had beautiful pictures of hike trails she visited with her dog. That is where I got the idea of visiting the area. I want to add I truly appreciate your honest, kind reply. I am a responsable dog-mom that is very respectful of nature. I felt kind of attacked by some of the other posts. ☹️

Edited: 04 March 2018, 11:11
Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation with my dogs

Not sure why you feel attacked. Lots of good information on this topic. Alltrails lists 707 dog-friendly trails in CO. Take your dogs on any number of them and I'm sure you'll get equally stunning pictures.

https://www.alltrails.com/us/colorado/dogs

Consider staying in Aspen, a particularly dog friendly destination even for Colorado. There is a lifetime of amazing hiking in the surrounding Snowmass and Maroon Bells Wilderness areas and the Little Nell is about as pet friendly as it gets. You can take your dogs to dinner at the hotel bar. They even have a dog menu!

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Maroon Bells
Maroon Bells
2,203 Reviews
Aspen, CO
The Little Nell
The Little Nell
472 Reviews
Aspen, CO
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,290 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation with my dogs

Sorry if you felt attacked. I don't think that was the intent...just trying to better understand why you were thinking of Avon, warn you about possible hazards, and also to understand your expectations and needs. Are you driving in? From which direction?

I'd vote for September, too, mid to late September if possible, to catch the fall color and nice fall weather.

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
Reply to: Vacation with my dogs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avon
Recent Conversations