We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you send your teenage daughter to SMA?

connecticut
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Would you send your teenage daughter to SMA?

I'm thinking of sending my daughter to a month-long art and spanish program there. The program uses Casita (Casa?) Crayola. ANy thoughts from the parents out there who have been/live there?

arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Would you send your teenage daughter to SMA?

Yes, I would send her. The program at Casa Crayola is excellent. the director, Carly Cross, has a grat track record and a lot of experience running camps and other programs for teenagers--both junior high and high school age. The program is creative and very well supervised. The kids tend to bond quickly and well. The chance that she would be spending much time walking around town on her own is minimal since girls this age tend to prefer to hang out together.

The house and grounds are beautiful, gated and in a safe neighborhood, located on one of the busiest streets in town just a 10-minute walk from the jardin.

I would have no problem with letting a teenage girl walk around town alone during the day, assuming she has at least a basic sense of responsibility and common sense.

San Miguel is one of the safest places in Mexico and far safer than many, MANY similar-sized towns in the US. She will have a great cultural experience, make many new strong friendships, learn some things and have a lot of fun.

I'd say send her!

Donna

Mentioned in this post
San Miguel
San Miguel
396 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
colorado
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Would you send your teenage daughter to SMA?

I would and I did. In 2002 my 18-yr old daughter went to art school at the Instituto for a semester. I took her down for a week to get her settled in an apt....cried on my flight home, wondering what I had done.

She had a great semester and made some very close student friends, and teacher Carlos Caban, with whom she spent most of her time. I put my foot down when she wanted to travel around Mexico for 6 weeks with one friend...thought she was too young and that could be dangerous.

It wasn't until the next semester, when she was a freshman at Colorado U. in Boulder, that I realized SMA is far safer than most American cities. Girls can basically walk safely around at night in SMA, but in Boulder, that is very dangerous.

If my daughter was a lot younger than 18, I'd think it over more cardfully

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Colorado
Colorado
United States
13. Re: Would you send your teenage daughter to SMA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende