We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Prices

Austin, TX
1 post
Save Topic
Restaurant Prices

I'm trying to figure out an approxomate budget for my trip to SMdA in April and I see alot of info on which restaurants to try (thank you posters) but not much about the cost of food in San Miguel. Is a nice meal $20, $50, $100? I have no idea.

A little guidance on what we can expect.

Thanks

Atlanta
Level Contributor
624 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Prices

All of the above, but also below! There are good meals to be had for around $5 USD - and special meals to be had for $75! That's the great thing about SMA. There is a web site run by two women who have made their speciality "living on Social Security" in SMA - they have a "cheap eats" section that tells you about the good cheap eats! It is www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com. There is a range from there - a "nice" meal is in the eye of the beholder. The "best" may be around $75 with wine, but you may also get a wonderful meal for less than $10 - depending on your criteria. If you read the two web sites - this one and the other I referenced - you'll get a good cross-section. Bon appetit! Skidaddle

Mentioned in this post
Sma
Sma
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
northeast corridor
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Prices

I agree with everything that Skidaddle reported except for the two women "living on SS" — I believe they've been challenged on that point.

However, that notwithstanding, yes, there are many great cheap eats in SMA, assuming that you're careful about quality of food preparation, and that particular forum does list good options.

We found ourselves generally spending $75 - $100 US for a "nice" meal out with drinks and wine for two. Drink at home and you'll find yourself spending far less... we deduced that the pricing was pretty comparable to where we live in PA.

p2

Mentioned in this post
Sma
Sma
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Prices

I think the food at nicer restaurants with atmosphere in SMA is far less expensive than in Houston.

Mentioned in this post
Sma
Sma
northeast corridor
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Prices

Arlouper,

The safest thing to do is if you're interested in a particular restaurant for a special comida or night out, go there and check out their menu — most menus are posted at the restaurant entrance and the staff are more than willing to answer any questions. We found most to be gracious and more than happy to offer a look around. Generally speaking, you'll find that you may spend nearly as much on wine and drinks as in the states... especially at places that have full bar staffs.

Also depends on your appetite: many restaurants serve portions that are way too large for one person. For instance, Romano's portions are huge, as are Casa Payo's, and at Bugambilia, we often shared their wonderful chiles en nogada which come in two's. It's common in Mexico to share, so don't feel strange asking for this!

Not sure I've seen this rec on here, but for good inexpensive mexican comida with one of the best views in town, try La Posadita on Cuna de Allende (upstairs on terrace) — their wait staff are excellent and at night you can listen to the pianist across the street at La Capilla, where you'll pay a heckuva lot more for the same breathtaking view!

Mentioned in this post
Bugambilia
Bugambilia
150 Reviews
La Posadita
La Posadita
520 Reviews
Kansas City
Level Contributor
118 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Prices

Second the recommendation on La Posidita. We visited in January and it was the only restaurant we ate at twice. Make sure you dine on the rooftop for great views of the city and sunset.

arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Prices

You willa ctually find very few restaurants in San Miguel at the top end mentioned above. I have nver spent $100 US for two, although I know there are a few places that could happen. Most nice restaurant meals will tend to run about $20 per person (or less) not counting wine. The decent place I eat in--like Rincon de Don Tomas, Ten Ten Pie, Buen Cafe, I seldomj spend more than $12-14 for a nice meal. I also eat at places like the "No Name" restaurant on salida a Celaya (next to the TelMex office) where a full comida with a fruit drink is $40 pesos (less than $4 US). Last week two friends and I had a taco dinner at Don Felix in Independencia and the bill for three was under $130 pesos.

One of the nicest new "gourmet" restaurants in town is "The Restaurant" on Sollano. A very talented and creative young chef. If you drink a lot of wine, you could spend $50-60 or so per person, but you can also eat there for less.

Other good bets: CasaBlanca, Tio Lucas, La Brasserie (which is Cafe de la Parroquia by day), Romanos.

If you're looking for the least expensive places in town, do check out Carol and Norma's site, the Cheap Eats page.

Mentioned in this post
Ten Ten Pie
Ten Ten Pie
265 Reviews
Celaya
Celaya
Guanajuato, Mexico
Tio Lucas
Tio Lucas
724 Reviews
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Prices

I second the Casablanca recommendation, especially now that they've added some great dishes to their menu. Another great and moderately-priced place is D'Vino in the Fabrica Aurora. My husband and I shared an appetizer, entree (the special: salad, chicken crepes, and a glass of wine), dessert and two more glasses of wine. The total was $250 pesos. The ambiance is quietly elegant and the service first-rate.

8. Re: Restaurant Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 10:20