We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks!

NJ
Level Contributor
528 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks!

Whenever I travel to a new place and go into the water I wonder what lurks below. I always have expectations (not a good thing to have) that some behemoth is going to come up from the depths and take me away in its mouth. That brings me to Cabo...

Any maneating creatures in the water there that I should be aware of?

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks!

Do a search for "timeshare sharks"...be prepared, it's some pretty graphic stuff:)

As far as actual sharks...naw, Cabo is pretty safe. I don't recall hearing about any shark incedents in the years I've been addicted to Cabo. We catch one out in the blue water once in a while, but thats about all.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks!

The story I heard is that a whale shark sank a 28' cruiser fishing boat. Neither survived the collision. But this wasn't close to the swimmable beaches and a whale share is a filter feeder.

Some folks have been stung by jellyfish, but those aren't really man-eating, more like man-annoying.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
539 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks!

I have been diving around Lands End for the last 4 years and never encountered a Shark yet. Not sure if it is because we go around Feb/Mar time when the water is cooler.

Edited: 08 March 2011, 11:14
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks!

I love Terrys land shark (Timeshare people) version. And if we are going to add to Shellheads fears and paranoid dreams lets not forget the Diablo Rojo. Red Devil (Giant Squid) That are in the area up to 6' and 100 lbs. Legend has it that they pull local fisherman out of their boats never to be seen again. None of these creatures have been spotted at any of the resorts pools !!

California
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks!

There really are no sharks near the beaches...we have caught plenty of sharks on fishing trips, but those have been miles from shore. Like the previous poster mentioned...jellyfish will be much more of a threat, especially in the summer months.

Cabo Nut

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks!

i would not worry about it, but the truth is there are sharks in any area of ocean. you should be more concerned about the undertow and riptide so as not to drown.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks!

nickfish, I 100% agree.

There are sharks in the ocean along with other creatures that may hurt you...but then again there is the danger of being hit by lightning too. Speaking of sharks...my wife and I were at the same hotel in Cancun the day after the shark attack happened!

NJ
Level Contributor
528 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks!

I knew that I'd get a few bites(!) on this one. Seriously, though ...

I live at the Jersey Shore (not like that show, at all) and I'm not afraid to go into the water there, mainly because I know the area. Last summer, my wife and I were in Santorini and took a really nice snorkel cruise around the island. When we dove into the water the first thing that came into my head was that some giant Caldera inhabitant would launch itself at my unsuspecting body. Happily, that didn't happen. I guess it must've been the Ouzo!

Thanks for the positive thoughts and I'll watch out for the land sharks...

Parlin NJ
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks!

Watch out for Armando at Mango Deck, if you see him, he looks like he eats everything in front of him.......lol

I have a boat and fish the Jersey shore, You would be surprised what is at the mouth of these inlets in the summer, but enjoy, nothing will happen. No worse in Cabo than Jersey.

Tony

utahland
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks!

Shell, fear of deep water (the unknown, the subconscious, etc...) is very common. Cabo is low risk for shark attacks

Read this from Wikipedia and memorize (hah):

Even considering only people who go to beaches, a person's chance of getting attacked by a shark is 1 in 11.5 million, and a person's chance of getting killed by a shark is less than 1 in 264.1 million.[13][14] In the United States, the annual number of people who drown is 3,306, whereas the annual number of shark fatalities is 1.